Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I tow a BP down the street on the shop crane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife found a picture of the little Bridgeport mover, which I mentioned in a previous post, made out of a engine hoist. Thought I'd include it here for your amusement.

It certainly won't work to move a mill more than a few hundred yards (or meters). Also, this picture must be almost 20 years old.

VitŮŽria, Brazil

Comment

Originally posted by RichTes
      Had to let a neighbor stick my BP in his garage, but won't be able to get out with the forklift. Five houses down the street. Garage to garage move.

I feel safer with the hoist than a pallet jack. Have a 13hp diesel Iseki tractor with a little front end loader that I can pull it along with. Was going to attach the hoist to the loader for stability.

Any reasons this is that bad of an idea? Can't lift it with the loader, but sure can pull/push it along in low gear.

Rich
      That was
      Yesterday, 03:15 AM -Five houses down the street.
      why is it still there

Crane it onto a strong pallet,
      bolt/strap it on,
      put pallet truck under,
      move it to new house,
      put into position,
      leave it bolted on pallet (so you can move it about when you want more space, or have a long work piece ),
      put kettle on,
      wire a long flexible mains cable ,
      test run while you drink tea/coffee.

45mins tops (30mins if there's 2 of you).

Go & collect your crane.

john
      John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

Like the engine hoist with the tires and tongue on it. That would work great IMO. But I think if I had my choice I would call a tow truck the "boom" style not a flat bed and get it done once.....the right way without incident. Be careful things go bad in a hurry!!!

Comment

I can take one to pieces in under an hour.

Head off,
          Top off,
          Bed off,
          Knee off
          Then load the carcase in the bucket and weight the bloody thing in........

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by jugs
            That was
            Yesterday, 03:15 AM -Five houses down the street. why is it still there

john
            Maybe it's not... maybe it's on the side of the road hanging precariously from a hoist with a broken caster ...
            Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

Yeah, you can probably see a bit of the smart car sticking out from under it
              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by PeteF
                Not sure about towing the Bridgeport, but I can say I've been
                in the pub where that video was shot!
                Coober Pedy, yes?

Was the horse still standing on the porch with its head hung in over the
                swinging doors?

Comment

Originally posted by EddyCurr
                  Coober Pedy, yes?

I'm pretty sure its the Carinda Hotel. Town of 200 people about 650 Km's north west of Sydney. Just off the Castlereagh Highway that heads north to Quennsland, inland at Gilgandra. Copper Pedy would be too hot for any mere mortal.

Regards Phil.

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can take one to pieces in under an hour.

Head off,
                    Top off,
                    Bed off,
                    Knee off
                    Then load the carcase in the bucket and weight the bloody thing in........

Sir John, Earl of Bridgeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE
                    [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Took a few more postings to get there but - - - - - - (post #19)

Regards Ian.
                    You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X