Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I tow a BP down the street on the shop crane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whitis
    replied
    Originally posted by x39
    For a short distance like that I'd hire someone with a tow truck. Just pick it up with the boom, tie a couple of tag-lines to it and crawl down the street.
    tow truck. crawl. Around here those are mutually exclusive. I have one friend who was t-boned by a tow truck and I arrived at the scene of another accident, before the ambulances, where a tow truck t-boned a pickup. Two of the occupants were dead and the other was still in a coma 2 months later.

Leave a comment:

• oldtiffie
    replied
    From go to whoa

If one of the cast-iron wheels on the engine hoist brakes you are going to have a real problem.

I'd use a fork lift if the mill could be moved out of the garage onto the concrete apron - and move it to your apron.

Failing that, I'd use a tilt-tray tow truck with a good power winch and tie-downs.

I'd have the mill on a pallet.

Leave a comment:

• Robin R
    replied
    If you were determined to try using the engine crane, span between the feet with some sturdy boards and lower the mill down onto them while keeping a little weight on the boom.

Leave a comment:

• x39
    replied
    For a short distance like that I'd hire someone with a tow truck. Just pick it up with the boom, tie a couple of tag-lines to it and crawl down the street.

Leave a comment:

• ADGO_Racing
    replied
    Build a good heavy angle iron frame and add some Horror Fright pneumatic wheel/tires. Frame would just fit the base of the BP. Tow entire assembly home safely. This way, it won't be swinging, soft tires or wheels will absorb small road imperfections, curb transitions, and pebbles. Also if designed properly, just leave it on the frame in the shop, just jack each end up and remove the 4 wheels.

Leave a comment:

• RichTes
    replied
    I have a trailer with a ramp, but getting it on and off the trailer seems harder than finding a way to keep it on the ground.

That's why it's there - couldn't get it off the trailer easily

Rich

Leave a comment:

• dp
    replied
    If it's my street and you're looking for a good home for it, then yes, definitely.

Leave a comment:

• 2ManyHobbies
    replied
    If it stops suddenly on a pebble or curb or starts to swing out past the feet, you're done with it.

I'd be inclined to move an anchor point and winch it by hand or borrow a trailer for the afternoon, but that is just me.

Leave a comment:

• RichTes
    started a topic Can I tow a BP down the street on the shop crane?

Can I tow a BP down the street on the shop crane?

Had to let a neighbor stick my BP in his garage, but won't be able to get out with the forklift. Five houses down the street. Garage to garage move.

I feel safer with the hoist than a pallet jack. Have a 13hp diesel Iseki tractor with a little front end loader that I can pull it along with. Was going to attach the hoist to the loader for stability.

Any reasons this is that bad of an idea? Can't lift it with the loader, but sure can pull/push it along in low gear.

Rich
Working...
X