Doctor Visit to Remove Metal Sliver $$$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctor Visit to Remove Metal Sliver $$$

Saturday in the shop had a tiny little sliver of metal in my left thumb, (this is about the diameter of a hair and 1/8 inch long) got the magnifying glass and miniature needle nose and pulled the little sucker out. Today I go to the doctor and wanted him to do a little slicing to remove what I thought was the rest, as it had some infection. Oh no, we had to take 3 Xrays, even after I told him I'm sure it was to small to even show. Sure enough nothing was on the xrays, which were so blurry I don't know how he could tell anything.

Sent me home with antibiotic to take until they ran out. Lets see, 3 xrays to find out nothing, and my thumb is still so sore and with the spot still infected.

What happened to just a slice and drain, a little antibiotic gel and your home getting better? Oh, better yet, he wanted to send me to a hand surgeon??
    Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

I hate those little metal slivers!
    Andy

Comment

Originally posted by wmgeorge
      Sent me home with antibiotic to take until they ran out. Lets see, 3 xrays to find out nothing, and my thumb is still so sore and with the spot still infected.
      I think you need to get this looked at again as it could be a staph infection and you do not want that. Been there done that.

Comment

Seconded. It is amazing how much STUFF they drained out of a dime-size infected area and I still have a scar on my arm that'll never heal.
        This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
        Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
        Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

There is an ointment out there called "drawing salve" that would help in this application.
          mark costello-Low speed steel

Comment

With litigation the way it is now they have to cover their asses every which way to help if they are sued.

Comment

Sounds to me like that "little needle nose" was infected and passed it onto your finger. You didn't sterilize it before you used it on your finger, did you?
              I use alcohol on the area and pass a needle through a flame before using it to dig out a splinter.

Comment

We had a microscope where I worked once when I got those tiny little splinners that I couldn't see I put my finger under the microscope. That tiny little splinner looked like a 16 penny nail and the tweezers looked like chop sticks the size of power line poles trying to get hold of the nail. It took some practice pulling that splinner under that microscope but I could always see it, I just had a hard time getting a hold of it.

Comment

Sounds like you need to invest in a good pair of tweezers.

If you are going to make slivers, and that is what we do, you need a good pair of tweezers.

And while you are at it, a decent lighted magnifying glass is handy.

Oh, and some rubbing alcohol.

Brian
                  OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

The eye doctor has better tools for magnetic splinters. They have a blunt electromagnetic needle. It is surprizingly strong. For non magnetic stickers you are SOL. Anything that you do for yourself should start with alcohol and peroxide and end with Neosporin or Polysporin. Doctors are like other professons there are good ones and bad ones.
                    Byron Boucher
                    Burnet, TX

Comment

For the ones I know about, I use a pair of old calipers, which hit the floor about 20 years ago. Jaws are still in good shape. Jaws close tight and get a good grip on very fine slivers.

The ones I don't know about right away, usually just get a little inflamed (like the one stuck in the callus on my palm now) and come out with a needle at home. I have never had one become infected to the point of needing a trip to the doctor.

Comment

Malpractice

Long gone are the days when your doctor could use common sense and judgement to attend to your needs. Standard of care for a subcutaneous foreign body includes X-rays, even for traditionally non-radio opaque foreign bodies such as glass. If you don't do it you are considered to be practicing below the standard of care and have an indefensible case when you go to court. The average doc has a 6% chance per year of being sued. The cost of malpractice in Florida for an ob/gyn is 100-200k a year. Getting sued is an emotionally and financially difficult challenge even with no settlement. There are trauma programs that have closed due to not getting neurosurgical coverage due to the tremendous lawsuit risk associated with head trauma. Like many things associated with liability everyone has to CYA. I remember before I started the home machine shop stuff trying to get wheel adaptors made. Had three commercial machine shops turn me down before I found an older guy who said "no problem". He probably wouldn't do it now.

Comment

I've had many such wood and metal splinters/slivers. I have a good pair of tweezers that I have hand sharpened to fine points and very flat surfaces between them. But my favorite tool is an Xacto knife with a new blade. It is better than a needle as you can slice it open with the knife blade and the sliver will usually just squeeze out then. Don't slice inwards. Run the point of the blade in following the path the sliver took and follow the greatest pain. Then slice outwards. I'm only talking about 1/32 or worst case, 1/16 deep here and not much wider.

A 10X magnifier helps a lot.

But always use alcohol on both the tools and the finger first. Always! And use a band-aid with some antibiotic ointment afterwards. And change it and use more ointment when you quit for the day.
                          Paul A.
                          SE Texas

Make it fit.
                          You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Good tweezers/forceps are as close as the nearest cosmetics counter.

Spend a few dollars and buy a couple of pairs. Take the time to study
                            the different tip styles and choose ones that have sufficient cross section
                            at the tips that they don't deflect under pressure.

Replace them from time to time when they no longer grip well and it is
                            not practical to refurbish them.

Ditto on the suggestions to practice good hygiene & sterilize instruments.

Last edited by EddyCurr; 12-07-2010, 01:57 AM.

Comment

Stanley knife followed up by brazing flux and masking tape.

No joke, it's done me proud for all these years.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Working...
                              X