Chess Set on a Lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess Set on a Lathe

Anybody make a chess set on their lathe ? Any decent plans available for making a chess set.

What kind of metal would you guys use ? I was thinking brass for one side. However, not sure about the other 12L14 ?

Thanks,
    Kevin

I have a lathe and a mill so it does not have to be made strictly on a lathe.

Heh. I'm planning to do exactly that. I was thinking about something like 12L14 (send it out to be hardened) for one side then stainless for the other.

I'm trying to come up with a Rook design I like and I imagine some of those curves I'm going to need to grind my own tools for, so that'll be good practice.

I'm a little worried about using brass since it's so damn gummy. I just don't have the English on that down right yet.
    ----
    Proud machining permanoob since September 2010

Comment

The brass I get isn't gummy. It's showery. It comes off in a shower of fine chips. The faster you machine it, the further the chips fly. You need a good hood if you want to cut at any appreciable speed.

I've heard of this gummy stuff before, but that's not what I get when I ask for brass.

You just want the weights about the same, so brass and stainless would be nice together.

Or both aluminium, anodized different colours. Now that might well be gummy.

Two different colours of acetal/delrin, with a lead insert up the inside of each one ?
      Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

Kilo, I started mine some years back in brass and stainless, however all the stock went to different projects... I still have one brass Pawn

Comment

[QUOTE=madwilliamflint].... I was thinking about something like 12L14 (send it out to be hardened) for one side .../QUOTE]
          HARDENED!!! For a chess set??
          "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

Comment

Made this quite a while ago, brass & alum.

thanks
            ed

Comment

[QUOTE=jep24601]
              Originally posted by madwilliamflint
              .... I was thinking about something like 12L14 (send it out to be hardened) for one side .../QUOTE]
              HARDENED!!! For a chess set??
              For the resulting blackening?
              ----

Comment

Originally posted by rohart
                I've heard of this gummy stuff before, but that's not what I get when I ask for brass.
                Who do you ask for brass? And what brass do you ask them for?
                ----

Comment

Hey! I like your signature, Madwilliamflint!

Here are some good alloys of brass (in terms of machinability)

"Free machining brass" - brass 360 (this is pretty common. It's a leaded brass, see the links below).

"Engraver's brass" - brass 653

"Architectural brass" - brass 385 (this is what strike plates, hinges, etc are made of ... or so I am told)

I'm not sure how well leaded steels harden, actually. Plus, not all hardening treatments will result in the black finish you are thinking about. You can get gun-blacking and do it yourself, though. I know leaded steel is very susceptible to rusting, of course. I think I'd go with stainless and brass, myself.

Links:
                  http://www.onlinemetals.com/alloycat.cfm?alloy=360
                  http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INLMK32?PARTPG=INSRAR2

Some varieties of brass are extremely gummy owing to a high copper content, I believe.

Comment

Nice work Ed on the Chess pieces and the case.
                    How about the board, did you make it too?
                    Larry

Comment

Idea for Modification

Originally posted by rohart
                      Two different colours of acetal/delrin, with a lead insert up the inside of each one ?
                      Maybe if you put a small magnet in the base of each for weight, you could use a steel sheet for the playing field. The kids could then use the set while in the car.
                      Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Comment

[QUOTE=madwilliamflint]
                        Originally posted by jep24601

For the resulting blackening?
                        I would polish and then darken with gun blue.
                        "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

Comment

gr8life,very nice!

Brass I would use 360,either that or make both sides out of 1144 stressproof and have one side PVD Tin coated
                          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

How about copper and steel set outside for a few weeks for patina? Green and brown.

Or white plastic and the hardened (for darkness) steel.
                            Andy

Comment

[QUOTE=jep24601]
                              Originally posted by madwilliamflint
                              I would polish and then darken with gun blue.
                              Love it.

Yeah if I'm gonna make something like this on the lathe (and possibly miller, but I'd like to keep them strictly to the lathe) I'm sure as heck not gonna make it out of plastic.

I can't imagine how I'd keep the pieces consistent. 16 pawns with precision? EEP.
                              ----

Comment

Working...
                              X