Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horrible Freight

Hi,

Why is it that they can truck ship me a new lathe almost 2000 miles in 2 days time. But can't ship me an arbor and drill chuck in 2 weeks. It's still "in transit, on time and expected for delivery in 2 days"

Both items were ordered at the same exact time from the same operator.

dalee
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

It's the same reason that HF advertises a sale item for 2 months that's been " no longer available from the manufacturer" for the same 2 months. However, the exact same item, with a different stock number and a higher price, is readily available. But, despite such business practices, we keep buying from them , don't we ? We're addicted to the low prices, and willing to turn our backs to everything else.
    Last edited by Bill736; 12-09-2010, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Possibly your,e two smaller items are back-ordered?

Comment

Originally posted by dalee100
        Hi,

Why is it that they can truck ship me a new lathe almost 2000 miles in 2 days time. But can't ship me an arbor and drill chuck in 2 weeks. It's still "in transit, on time and expected for delivery in 2 days"

Both items were ordered at the same exact time from the same operator.

dalee
        Most likely the lathe was in a warehouse in your region of the US. The arbor and chuck are literally coming on a slow boat from China.

Comment

Originally posted by Picoprecision
          Bingo!
          We have shopped for the low price for so long that many of the manufacturers of good quality products ended up out of business , or with their plants in China, turning out junk.

How ironic that for years we complained about the declining quality of American-made products -autos come to mind- but now we expect and accept poor quality imports because they are cheaper. The race to the bottom continues.

Dirk
          Amen, Brother !!!

Comment

I agree completely.. If I'm buying from the low priced / low quality supplier, I don't usually expect top notch delivery or top notch quality products.

Mark

Originally posted by randyc
            Amen, Brother !!!

Comment

Someone on this board has a sig line that reads: "I can't afford to buy cheap tools." And in most cases, I agree.

Comment

I do wonder where this race to the bottom will end . More and more I'm seeing products used in our basic infrastructure coming out of China. Pipe and pipe fittings, electrical wire, structural steel , and more complex assemblies are being used in this country in essential capacities that must be reliable. Many of these products are defective or out of spec. What will it take to wake us up to what's coming .....disasters caused by cheaply made materials. How will it start? An unexplained explosion at a chemical factory ?
                Power outages from faulty equipment ? Collapse of bridges ? Leaks from nuclear power plants ? Imported cars with sticking accelerators ? ( Oh right, we already have that.) How about aircraft falling from the skies ? I'm not an alarmist or extremist, but the difficulty I've experienced in buying good quality construction materials lately has gotten me concerned that a much bigger picture is already in progress involving all sorts of industrial products made in China and elsewhere. Where will the military obtain high quality components when nobody in the US even bids on the contracts ? Watch for it, because I believe it's coming .

Comment

Hi,

It would seem I owe HF a bit of an apology. They shipped the parts the next day. Evidently FedEx is taking their sweet time with delivery. It is spending 2-3 days at every terminal before moving on. A nice lady at HF taught me how to track my order on line.

Rest assured, the quality of the items ordered will be good enough for the expected job. I don't need a $2000 hammer to drive a penny nail, so to speak.

I'm just a bit frustrated because I need the arbor and chuck to get on with the job at hand.

dalee
                  If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

You shoulda

...ordered these pieces with the lathe I guess! lol
                    I spent most of my money on women and booze, the rest I just wasted.

Comment

God…I hate Chinese Crap,

For years I bought imported stuff for price… Drill bits, drill chucks edge finders etc… Now I'm realizing how much that junk has cost me in dollars and productivity.

Recently was cleaning out my scrap tool box; 8-10 drill chucks…all Chinese, trashed jaws, crappy run-out, scored tapers. But the Bison and Albrecht are still running strong. Geesh… for the $500 or so that I spent on that junk, I could have a few more quality chucks.

There’s probably 3-4 complete sets of broken, twisted or burnt drill bits… No us made ones, just Chinese imports.

3 Chinese mill vises with cracked castings.

V-Blocks…Clamping Straps made out of cast iron which crack the first time you use them. Bolts made out of stretchable steel, and bolt holes not fully threaded or with burrs etc in them so that only half the threaded holes are useable. And they are hard…so if you try and clean them up with a tap..you will break the tap.

My FIL gave me a box of PRC hacksaw blades, ran out of good ones tried using those, two strokes in 1018 and the blade was completely bald…all the teeth were gone.

Spend 3-4 hours on a part and a cheap Chinese drill or tap break off in the part…. Keep telling yourself that you saved money.

That cheap HF, 12 point socket set rounds off the head of a bolt… now you take it to a mechanic with “proper tools” … Impress him by telling him how much you save on that socet set...

Think many of us have been using cheap crap for so long now we have forgotten what quality tools can do. Case in point: For years my wife has had a set of Brand Name (But Made in China) kitchen knives. I would try and sharpen them, about like sharpening bubble gum; bought a few different sharpeners…all to no avail.

Finally bought a set of Quality German made kitchen knives for my wife…I got that “how can you spend so much on a set when we have a perfectly good set here” talk…. I then put a tomato on the cutting board, told her to try her knife first, then try the new knife…

The look was total amazement, she spent the next few minutes seeing how thin she could actually slice a tomato; about a dozen slices of paper thin tomato….

Yup…we both forgot how well a knife can cut…

V/R

Mike
                      Mike Hunter

www.mikehunterrestorations.com

Comment

Mike, I hear you.
                        Mike
                        WI/IL border, USA

Comment

More and more I'm seeing products used in our basic infrastructure coming out of China. Pipe and pipe fittings, electrical wire, structural steel...
                          I've been helping to restore a steam locomotive over the past 2 mos and many of the pipe fittings (elbows, reducers, etc) are from China.

Somebody put a sign in the engine cab that says, "Made in the U.S.A." which now is only partly true

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hunter
                            Think many of us have been using cheap crap for so long now we have forgotten what quality tools can do.

Most people have been accepting crap for so long, they think it's normal. Merchandise AND labour/service!

Comment

I understand Mike Hunter's rant against cheap tools. Junky tools are frustration and even dangerous. Yet, if you are selective, you can get some pretty good tools at HF.

On the other hand, I have done so much work with such tools which I would never been able to do if I had to pay high prices for them, it is beyond count.

If I were making a living with my tools, it would make much more sense to buy the highest quality possible. But when something gets used only once a year or so, and that for my own purposes, sometimes these cheap tools are good enough.
                              Vitَria, Brazil

Comment

Working...
                              X