I bought a southbend!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    I cleaned my lathe off a little bit more and found that there were more scrape marks beneath the crud However, the saddle/apron is another story.
    The cross slide is well warned, has a groove from the gibs, must of been used a lot. Im thinking this lathe might of been parted together. In any case, I need new half nuts for the lead screw, and im not sure how the gibs are setup on the saddle.
    The apron side has nothing to hold it to the bed ways except for gravity, and the other side does have tiling bar that keeps that side on, im going to make a new topic and post pics.

[This message has been edited by BillH (edited 12-14-2003).]

Leave a comment:

• SJorgensen
    replied
    Hi Bill,

I wouldn't worry at all about the rust on the spindle pulley. Once you get it running you'll apply a little emory paper and that will just be a memory. The chipped tooth might be annoying but it may or may not affect its operation. Of course you will only use that when you use the back gears. Probably someone used a prybar to hold the spindle when they were removing the chuck. I really like these old SB9 lathes. Be careful about these lathes. They often lead you to buy shapers and milling machines!
    Be sure and look at that site Evan posted. You could get the quick change gearbox and leadscrew and turn your model C to an A. The bed length might cause you to extend the right mount, but you could do that and replace the Bull Gear, and still have spent less that I did in buying my SB9 model A.

[This message has been edited by SJorgensen (edited 12-14-2003).]

Leave a comment:

• gizmo2
    replied
    She's a beauty, Bill, and so YOUNG! Be gentle...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Great idea Andy, I will try that.
    I contacted a chuck house to see if they have any outside jaws for my union chuck. Hopefully if they do, they wont be too expensive.

Leave a comment:

• andy_b
    replied
    for the chucks on my old SB, a 1/4" and a 3/8" ratchet fit the chuck tightening holes (two different size chucks of course). give it a shot and see if they fit.

and that IS a nice looking machine!

andy b.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Bill,

Keep track of the shims and the orientation when you remove the spindle. If you need parts see this guy (not a relative).

http://www.mermac.com/partssb9.html

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 12-14-2003).]

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Im going to need to learn the tricks of removing the spindle soon, im looking to get a new belt pulley, since the one I got now as you can see is rusty and has a chipped tooth.
    Also, I used a spreadsheet some one made to predict the manufacturing date on my lathe. This lathe apparently was made between february and march of 1941.
    Yes, the chuck looks to be nice, its a 6" Union. However I do not have any outside jaws for it, and no key, tis a problem if I want to finish my wheels on this thing with that chuck.
    Thanks for the comments. Evan, as you can see in the pic, it has a rather small gear on the leadscrew, I'd like to get the biggest one for the fine feed. I guess I will need to find a chart of all the gears and combinations. I atleast have 3 of them.
    I guess my lathe bed is the shortest one southbend made. Perhaps that accounts for it not being warn out. It's plenty long for me though, I dont see myself turning long shafts to build any steam locomotives.

Leave a comment:

• abn
    replied
    Nice lathe! Nice deal!

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Bill,

Just so you know, the complete set of SAE change gears numbers 17. That includes the stud gears, idlers and screw gears. That doesn't include any extras like a metric transposing gear.

Leave a comment:

• SJorgensen
    replied
    That's a steal. About the belts. There are lots of flat automotive belts that will work fine. I also think removing the spindle is easier than a brake job and well worth doing on a lathe so that you can flush the oil journals and make sure the oil wick that rides against the spindle isn't worn out. There are only two tricky things about the job and once you know about them they are a piece of cake. As I recall it is a tapered pin and a spring loaded oil wick in the spindle bore. Worth doing.

Good luck,

Spence

Leave a comment:

• BC21OSH
    replied
    Bill,

Congratulations, that's a nice looking lathe and it has what appears to be a nice size chuck on it. Isn't that old American made iron pretty?

Bernard

Leave a comment:

• nheng
    replied
    Congratulations, Bill. It's nice to see a machine like this that has seen regular oiling and is still in good shape, right down to the paint !
    Den

Leave a comment:

• Rustybolt
    replied
    Looks good Bill. Let us know how it runs.

Leave a comment:

• Herb W
    replied
    Nice looking model C, Bill. Good luck with it!

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    When you bolt it to the channel iron you then align it using pieces of feeler stock under the edges of the right foot castings. Left one is bolted down tight, alignment is done with right foot.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X