Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bought a southbend!!!

YEhhh!
    ITs in Really good shape, some parts of ways still have the decorative checkering, extremely small ridges, A really nice American made 3 jaw chuck, forgot the name of it, bunch of tooling, some of the changegears(not all ) No wear on the leadscrew, all the gears look to be in Excellent shape, I did see one tooth missing off one of the back gears, does not affect operation from what I can tell, I also have the drive motor and drive assembly, not in picture.
    I got it all for 475$ I need to clean it up, get rid of the surface rust.
    THis lathe has been used by hobbyists, no factory work, atleast from seller said, and by the looks of it.
    Oh yes, the SPindle is SMOOTH, not rough Lathe had lots of machine oil on it, so it's allways been well oiled from what I can tell.
    Geez, feels good, the search is over.

[This message has been edited by BillH (edited 12-13-2003).]

That looks real good Bill. It looks like you will need a flat belt for it. Instead of taking the spindle off get a belt prepared for gluing with a scarf joint. Make sure to ask what glue to use. The length will be whatever you measure after you have the rear drive set up with the lathe on a bench. Measure around any aligned pair of the pulleys from drive to headstock with the overcenter tensioning arm in the running position and the turnbuckle wound full close (shortest length). Belt should be 1" wide. Alignment of the drive assembly to the headstock is critical.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 03-19-2004).]

Comment

Congratulations, a real steal-of-a-deal!
        To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Congratulations, keep us posted on your progress.

Dan

Comment

Thanks, I am very excited, it's a dream come true to have an American made lathe. My Chinese 7x14 boat anchor was just a toy, now this is a machine.
            Evan, It came with a belt, one with alligator clips. I'll have to look at the belt again, in passing itlooked like it was a rubber flat belt, perhaps it is leather. In any account, the belt looks a bit warned.
            I'll look into the glued belt, also, need to get southbends book on how to run a lathe, I want to make sure I oil every single place that needs to be oiled, and that I use the right oil.
            I will also need to get a better bench to mount it on, that one you see in the pic I think will be impossible to get the lathe leveled good. Like you suggested before Evan, Im going to find a big piece of channel iron or plate to bolt it to.

Comment

looks like a keeper, for sure!

Comment

When you bolt it to the channel iron you then align it using pieces of feeler stock under the edges of the right foot castings. Left one is bolted down tight, alignment is done with right foot.

Comment

Nice looking model C, Bill. Good luck with it!

Comment

Looks good Bill. Let us know how it runs.

Comment

Congratulations, Bill. It's nice to see a machine like this that has seen regular oiling and is still in good shape, right down to the paint !
                      Den

Comment

Bill,

Congratulations, that's a nice looking lathe and it has what appears to be a nice size chuck on it. Isn't that old American made iron pretty?

Bernard

Comment

That's a steal. About the belts. There are lots of flat automotive belts that will work fine. I also think removing the spindle is easier than a brake job and well worth doing on a lathe so that you can flush the oil journals and make sure the oil wick that rides against the spindle isn't worn out. There are only two tricky things about the job and once you know about them they are a piece of cake. As I recall it is a tapered pin and a spring loaded oil wick in the spindle bore. Worth doing.

Good luck,

Spence

Comment

Bill,

Just so you know, the complete set of SAE change gears numbers 17. That includes the stud gears, idlers and screw gears. That doesn't include any extras like a metric transposing gear.

Comment

Nice lathe! Nice deal!

Comment

Working...
                              X