X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TEXASLEADHEAD
    replied
    billh

you are correct. there is no gib on that side. i run my clamp snug to keep the apron from lifting when i part off or face to center. turning and boring i run it loose and it works fine.

Leave a comment:

• John Foster
    replied
    Bill, when it is time to put the spindle back in, you will have to depress the 2 oil wicks. If you look, you will find a small hole just above each oil cup. Press the wick down below the surface of the bearing and slide a small rod in to the hole to hold them down. Once the spindle is back in place pull the rods out. John

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Upon further inspection of my lathe and cone pulley, The tooth is not really missing, It was fixed by drilling 2 studs into it, and filing them to the gear profile. Only problem was that I could not see that with the covers on, looked as if there was no tooth!]
    Thistle, Thanks for offer.
    Im going to buy some half nuts from a dealer to solve that one problem.
    I am wondering though, is tehre any gibs that hold the saddle to the bed? On the far side there is that big clamp, but on the apron side, there is only the locking clamp. I guess it does both?

Leave a comment:

• thistle
    replied
    bill

i ve got a box full of sb 9 goodies -
    no 1/2 nut though- if you let me know what bits you need i will have a look .

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Bill,

Isn't there a chart plate attached to the change gear cover? If not, I will take a picture of mine and post it. Also, How to Run a Lathe does have a readable image of the chart in it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Dhammer, I am getting that book for Christmas.
    Im glad to hear its in that book. The cone pulley is the one that goes on the lathe, with the back gear. Mine is gouged a little, and a tooth is missing from it.

[This message has been edited by BillH (edited 12-15-2003).]

Leave a comment:

• dhammer
    replied
    BillH,

I don't have the chart on digital format and too big to fit in my scanner. Maybe I could try scanning 1/2 at a time. Do you have SB's "How to Run a Lathe".. I think the chart is in there.. good book and worth having.

What cone pulley do you need? The lathe I just bought was missing the horizontal counter shaft. I made one following the plans from the yahoo SB site. Made the 3 step cone pulley out of maple.. we'll see how it holds up.

Fred.. thanks for the heads up on eBay. Forty five dollars is not too bad for the gear and plans but I think I'll try making the thread dial follwing the article in Machinist's Workshop. After all.. that is what our machines are for.

Leave a comment:

• Fred White
    replied
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=57032

FYI - Person on eBay selling plans and the gear to make your own SB Thread Dial.

Leave a comment:

• Sprocket
    replied
    While they may be expensive, parts are available from Leblond for Southbend lathes.
    I got a new compound nut for a heavy 10, and it really improved the play in the compound. Old one looked like sharp "V" threads, worn that way from Acme.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    AH it was you who sniped me, lol, but to be fair, I was about 3rd in line. I only hope no one snipes me on that cone pulley I am bidding, or I will flip out. Hey, if you have the List of all the change gears, stud gears, etc that would be a complete set, email me the list, that will bring peace
    Oh, and if you have that chart to setup the change gears on a digital format, such as a pdf, send that too. If not, no problem.

[This message has been edited by BillH (edited 12-15-2003).]

Leave a comment:

• dhammer
    replied
    Bill,

I think I'm the guy who "sniped" those half nuts. Sorry about that!! I was going to make them but the used ones on Ebay look pretty good and the price was right. I just bought a SB 9" myself.. it's in good shape. It came with a complete set of change gears but no thread dial. Good thing Machinst's Workshop had an article on making one.

If I can be of any assistance don't hesitate to ask. I have a nice full sized chart for setting up the change gears.. if you want one let me know.. a peace offering.

Steve

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Alcova, I like the way you think, HMS50, thank you for the offer, I may take you up on it unless some one needs that part more than I do, I had no plans of using 3c collets.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    tell you right now, My biggest problem is finding new Half nuts for my leadscrew.
    I would rebuild them if I had another decent lathe on hand. I just got sniped on Ebay on a pair of used ones. I refuse to be put in such a situation as Ebay, not good for buyers.

I would have to bore out the stripped threads on the old half nuts on my Amazing, Unbelievable, super duper, Bending flexing Chinese 7x14 wonder of a boat anchor, and make a bronze bushing, thread it internally on the same boat anchor, then jbweld it onto the bored out half nuts and then take a big slitting saw to cut them apart on my micro mill...
    Ah gee, I guess I gotta go look in the classifeds for some southbend parts.

Leave a comment:

• alcova
    replied
    Bill, a sugestion for belting is to use a serpinetine and run it on back side with V grooves up...1 1/8 serpinetine belts have many lenghts and all you have to do to use it is cut off 1 V

Walt

Leave a comment:

• hms50
    replied
    Congratulations!!! Thats a lathe you can use and love for the rest of your life! If you are going to go with 3-C collets, I've got an extra collet gizmo,(the piece that goes into the spindle and holds the collet), You can have for the cost of postage.

Enjoy and good luck!
    hms50

Leave a comment:

Working...
X