O.T. Ultimate threat to the heartland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.T. Ultimate threat to the heartland

Was at a Brooks pharmacy tonight picking up some kids party stuff with my wife. Found a "Movie Time" popcorn set which included 2 plastic cups, shaped and colored like a movie popcorn box ... cute enough. Looked at the back of the box and the following caught my eye ... almost caused bleeding like Thrud had:

"Popcorn product of China"

We have a problem which is even BIGGER than I thought

I refuse to accept imported food products (unless I want an imported food product) and may never recover from this rant. The producers of this product should be heavily chastised and I will take time out of a busy Monday to do just that.

Den

I have a great hat, plastic thing, says "Sprit of USA". A 225th "birthday hat" for the US. Kind of a plastic thing looks like a fake Uncle sam hat. The band - red white, and blue, with the "spririt" saying on it. Right below that - in big white letters on the blue "MADE IN CHINA". I keep it around for laughs, sighs, and for reference when I think of where things started to go to hell in manufacturing.
    CCBW, MAH

Comment

What is made in the states is hard to figure out. Toyotas and Hondas are made in the states, but many of the part for the Amrican big three come from off shore.

Arvin Diamond electrical parts for American brand cars, come from a company in Ohio, but that is their corporate headquaters, everything is licensed out to other companies.

Jerry

Comment

Teach your children Chinese, they will need it in the future.

Jerry

Comment

Don't suppose you want to know who makes American flags?

"Shanghai Flag & Tent Works, for example, exported about $1 million worth of merchandise to the United States last year, with American flags accounting for about 80 percent of the total, says Zheng Banglin, general manager for the firm, which claims to control about one-third of the Chinese-made flag market in the US."
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Getting stress high with high heartbeat cleans out arteries. Unless you stroke on out.

Enough to upset me too, it gets worse each day, each person trying to make a few dollars erodes away our civilization. Like sand from the base of a cliff eroding away a mountain. Someday, the rest of the world will be reduced to a 3rd world country level. Bicycle transportation will be the norm then. Flagrant large homes, autos for each family member, televisions in each room, will all be a thing of the past. Got enough to eat? compared to the rest of the world, you are lucky.

David.

Comment

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 03-08-2004).]

Comment

When you get right down to it, there is no longer the Big Three. General Motors is still No.1, Toyota (I think, or another rice burner) is No.2, Ford is No.3. Chrysler no longer exists.
                The only positive thing that I can see with the German takeover of Chrysler is that it seems to be lowering the quality of Mercedes to Chrysler's level.
                There are articles running in the business section of the local paper, The Toledo Blade (Motto; Only the news we want to print), that are an outgrowth of an article in the NY Times about the manufacturer of Etch A Sketch in China. The manufacturer is paying the employees $.10/hr less than minimum wage, which is $.33/hr and working them more than 80 hrs./wk. They regret that they have not paid the proper amount of overtime pay. They are provided with barracks living and food. If they are lucky, they get meat three times a month. Many safety problems. Loss of fingers is one of the more common injuries.
                This is a very sorry situation, and is not fair trade or open market competition.
                80% of the toys sold in the US are manufactured in China, not to mention how many Christmas trees. Who benefits from Christmas nowadays?
                Jim H.

Comment

Blame Wal-Mart. They might not be thw whole problem, but like gas on a fire, they are an accellerant. The only way they sell everything cheaper is to take it off shore. They are truly an evil company.

John

------------------
                  Pursue Excellence and the rest will follow.
                  Pursue Excellence and the rest will follow.

Comment

What do you mean we can't do anything about it?Vote!Just make sure its not one of those NIMBY loving,anti-American,anti-gun,anti-industry,anti-capitalist liberal a--holes!

Be politicaly incorrect on every occasion,you can get away with it and so can I ,after all we're all getting older,and old folks get whatever they want

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

John. They're just giving the consumer what they want. If we didn't have all the labor, environmental, and just plain governmental regulation we'd be much more competitive.
                      When given a choice I buy anything but China. Instead of a new 4 jaw chuck from the pacific rim, I'll buy a used skinner.
                      Personally, I'd like to see more east european machine tools offered in this country.

Comment

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 03-08-2004).]

Comment

Ok guys, I can deal with chucks, wrenches, barbie, barney, etc. but this is from the ground ... CORN !
                          Den

Comment

OK, so I went to the grocery store the other day and picked up a head of garlic and yep sure enough, it was labeled Product of China. I'm used to seeing onions and garlic out here in the midwest from Mexico, but China?

Another grocery reality, Asparagus; the United States can no longer compete in this market either, China and Peru are taking it over as well.

Bernard

Comment

Nothing new there. My father and brother are ranchers. For years Australian, Canadian, Brazilian, etc. beef has been imported. McDonalds is notorious for using imported beef. My Dad was telling me the packers are getting around the current ban on Canadian beef by bringing in carcasses not live animals. Not sure how that is legal. For the record, beef is not subsidized (sp).

Jon
                              Jon Bohlander
                              My PM Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X