What is this fixture for??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this fixture for??

The heavy part is made of 1" thick aluminum plate. The other pieces are from 1/4" angle and flat stock.

The long bolts fit into the threaded holes on either side of the round part.

Roger
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Obviously, it's for making a watchimacallit. I have several of those.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

It appears able to hold an integrated cylinder/head combo for valve hole machining.
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

If you look very closely it looks like what they used in 27498968 b.c. where you hooked it up to the back wheel of a 1956 dodge viper to send people forward in time to intercept secret messages during world war negative 3.

Just Joking, sorry couldn't resist.
        Does anyone actually read siglines?

Comment

Darryl is probably right. I picked up a number of shop-made fixtures at an auction. Some I may use, others I'm saving for the metal. If it was cut, bent, formed, milled or welded, there's probably a tool somewhere to hold it.

It's a side of resourcefulness that few people get to see. I've seen some amazing pieces of art generated just to hold a tool or metal stock for machining.

Comment

Shed is right and I want in on the ground floor,it is obviously for a time machine,maybe you should look for the rest of the parts put them all together and see if anybody comes out
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

It is obviously a male chastity device.

Or a fixture of some kind...

Comment

Here's what I used it to make:

It's an aluminum dodecahedron. The fixture is mounted in the three-jaw for turning the dodecahedron. You only have to turn ten of the twelve faces on the fixture. It took about two hours taking light (0.01") cuts.

When it's spinning, it looks like something out of a '60s sci-fi film.

Roger

[This message has been edited by winchman (edited 12-15-2003).]

Comment

Wow, it IS a time machine!
                  I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

NICE piece of work. This from a guy who's made hundreds of prooduction fixtures over the years in a hard and competitive environment where I seen 'em all.

It bears all the marks of good fixture design: rigidity, simplicity, solid referencing, good tooling acccess, repeatable opeation, and economy of construction.

You done good, winchman.

My buring question is how do you index the part for subsequent facets?

Comment

Thank you, Forrest.

You only need to mark one end of the blank with scribes every 72* on the tapered section. These are lined up with a mark on the round part of the fixture as the faces on the other end are cut. The vertices between the first five faces serve as alignment marks for turning the faces on the other end.

I used a CAD program to figure the angles and the dimensions of the blank. Getting the blank proportions correct is important. I cut the first tapered end, made the fixture cup to fit it, then cut the other end to fit the cup. The vertices between the first five faces fit the cup snugly.

The first face is cut until the flat area just touches the edge of the taper on the other end:

The carriage stop is then set for making the rest of the cuts.

Roger

Comment

Very nice.
                        Michael

Comment

Roger, if you knowed what to use it for, whatchu askin us for???
                          I'm here hoping to advancify my smartitude.

Comment

Showoff!!

Comment

It's a test. And, BTW, I want to see an icosahedron please...

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 12-16-2003).]
                              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                              X