Enco lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enco lathe

So, I get an email a couple of weeks ago from a friend of mine who has become a shaman, er, minister, over the past few years, that he wants to sell his 1994 Enco 13x40 bench lathe, since his church transferred him to a town about 150 miles from here. Went over tonight, since it had been a few years since I had looked at it, and it's in very gently used condition. If it were a car, I would say that it was low mileage to the point of barely being broken in. Got all the tools, 3 & 4 jaw chucks, manuals, etc. Dusty but no rust. The hard part is to figure just what this pup is worth. I've been keeping my eyes open, but it seems that nobody is selling similar machines on EvilBay right now. Any guesstimates, guys? Appreciate any help you can give me on this!

David
    David Kaiser
    “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

If it is in immaculate condition I would say half price of what the new ones are selling for. Encos are notorious for having designs change and not being able to order replacement parts.

Comment

Originally posted by gda
      If it is in immaculate condition I would say half price of what the new ones are selling for. Encos are notorious for having designs change and not being able to order replacement parts.
      Based on a single experience attempting to obtain a spare for a ten-year old machine, that sounds right.

Comment

Originally posted by gda
        ----DITTO---
        1/2 new cost is right for like new machine
        "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~ Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Ive sorta been watching the 12 & 13" lathes for several years that were offered by the various dealers, Enco seems to have had 2 versions of the 13 (at least since around 2000-2002) one that seemed to be a sized up 12x36, with very similar features, that was selling for around $23-2400 til the last 2-3 yrs, it seemed to be a clone of the Grizz and the HF 13's. Then there was another 13 from Enco that had more 'industrial' features - foot brake, coolant, jog button, 3hp motor, etc that was selling for $3000-3300 (its in the current 'hot deals' catalog for $3995 http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=319-9733

So, it will depend on what he has - along with the condition, which from your description sounds good. Be kinda hard to put a price on it, depends on areas of country a LOT --- get it cheap as you can!
          FWIW,They seem to have had a pretty good reputation.
          If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Originally posted by 38_Cal
            a shaman, er, minister,

Now that's funny right there!!!

The part that's not funny is that there's a lathe in my general area for sale and I'm missing out on it. Again......

If for some reason you decide against it, shoot me a PM I may be interested.

Comment

Originally posted by 38_Cal
              So, I get an email a couple of weeks ago from a friend of mine who
              has become a minister, over the past few years, that he wants to
              sell his 1994 Enco 13x40 bench lathe,
              The prospective vendor is a long-term friend and is now a man of the
              cloth - seems like a potentially awkward social situation.

Comment

He's also a retired Marine Staff Sgt. and a former gunsmith... Tdkkart, this machine, and his other stuff, has not been advertised to the public. His wife's been pushing him to "divest", so that they can sell the house and move. I'm merely trying to help a friend!

David
                David Kaiser
                “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
                ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Based on the figures Bill Pace cited above, I'd say anywhere from $1200-$1500 would not insult your friend.

Comment

The $1200-$1500 range is not a bad starting place for the basic machine, more if additional tooling is included.

One thing to look at closely with these machines though is that some of the early Asian imports were a mix of metric and Imperial with metric lead screws and gearing and Imperial dials. While not a deal killer, it can result in confusing and meaningless graduations on the dials and some weird thread counts on the QCGB if it is so equipped.
                    Jim H.

Comment

Was just flipping thru last months "hot deals" from Enco and they were highlighting the 'lesser' featured 13x40 - with free frt - for $2599. This model, and the 12x36, has been really popular with HSM'ers. They allowed us to get a pretty good lathe for quite good prices. There are many different versions differing mostly in color & name tag. The HF version 2-3 yrs ago was selling for (I think) $2000, so back in '94 the Enco was probably selling in the $15-1600 range. IIrc, the Enco was $22-2300 a couple yrs ago

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=510-2585
                      If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Originally posted by gda
                        ... Encos are notorious for having designs change and not being able to order replacement parts.
                        I've had that experience as well.

Spent a LONG time on the phone with a 'tech' that kept trying to convince me to order parts off a completely different machine, saying that the parts were 'probably' interchangable (but not returnable in case they didn't fit!)

Now I just order parts from the equivelant Jet machine and modify to suit (and yes, there ARE differences in many parts I've gotten - a little wider here or a little shorter there and such. Usually not a big deal to adapt them though, plus Jet's parts seem to run a bit cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pace
                          Was just flipping thru last months "hot deals" from Enco and they were highlighting the 'lesser' featured 13x40 - with free frt - for $2599. This model, and the 12x36, has been really popular with HSM'ers. They allowed us to get a pretty good lathe for quite good prices. There are many different versions differing mostly in color & name tag. The HF version 2-3 yrs ago was selling for (I think) $2000, so back in '94 the Enco was probably selling in the $15-1600 range. IIrc, the Enco was $22-2300 a couple yrs ago

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=510-2585

I have that very machine, a 1994 Enco 13 X 40. They were selling for $2,350 plus tax in 1994 when I bought mine new. That's what I paid at the old Enco brick and mortar store in San Jose, CA. The prices haven't gone up one bit in 15 years.

Someone above said that parts aren't available for the older Encos. That's not correct. I recently purchased a new compound slide for mine. The original one developed a crack. I just gave them the part number and they shipped me one. It's all the more likely that they wlll have parts because they've been selling the exact same model for more thabn 20 years. Also, the Grizzly 13-1/2 X 40 is the same machine for more money. Go figure.

If you can get that machine for half price, I'd go for it. They are a wonderful machine. Hurry before the seller changes his mind. ( I presume it's a man)

I just added a DRO, too. Heh heh.

Comment

I watch lathe sales and prices in N Texas pretty closely. Keep in mind values are regional and vary with local demand, but I bet IA is not much different from N Texas.
                            That said, if I were in your shoes and wanting to offer a fair price to a friend, I would say $1500 - $1800. You can't touch a new one for anywhere close to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex
                              I watch lathe sales and prices in N Texas pretty closely. Keep in mind values are regional and vary with local demand, but I bet IA is not much different from N Texas.
                              That said, if I were in your shoes and wanting to offer a fair price to a friend, I would say $1500 - $1800. You can't touch a new one for anywhere close to that.

That's right, especially considering the fact that the base shown in my picture is now sold separately. Mine came with the base. I think they get something like $200 more for the base. You really need that, too since the lathe alone is something like 1,350 pounds.

$1,500-$1,800 is a fair price. You can't always get free shipping on a new one, either.

Comment

Working...
                              X