OT Security Shield Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Security Shield Virus

Anybody familiar with this. Unfortunately, just started getting popups today. I'm running Norton 360 but not sure about the extent of what I need to do
    I bury my work

That one got me a few years ago. I had to take my computer in and have it professionally removed.

Comment

Originally posted by KiddZimaHater
      That one got me a few years ago. I had to take my computer in and have it professionally removed.
      I've been doing a little research (in between pop ups) trying to decipher the uninstall processes that show up. Problem is, I'm not sure which ones are legit or not.
      I bury my work

Comment

for $89 Mcaffee will work on you machine remotely and fix it. They also stand behind the work for 5 days just incase it was not all gotten. You might want to boot in safe mode when visiting their site or hook up on a clean machine to pass the credit card info.

Comment

Frustrating...

I ran both a quick scan and full scan on Norton and it detected nothing even though the f#($ing pop ups come up every minute.
          This stuff drives me crazy.
          I'm going to drop the laptop off at our computer guru's place tomorrow. I hope it works out alright. I'm going to be skiing in Breckenridge starting Friday. That's the good news.
          I bury my work

Comment

Malwarebytes, and Spybot Search and Destroy, used alternately, can often get rid of it.

You have to be tricky, it won't let you visit those sites.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

Those little "fake" security things that pop up from time to time. They aren't that hard to get rid of. I'm not a computer expert, though I do know just enough to be dangerous. To me and probably to you if you take my advice.

Fire it up in safe mode, delete your anti-virus software. Download MalWareBytes (free version), run the really long scan. System restore, re-download fresh version of Antivirus software, install, scan. And done.

Its worked for me a few times and quite the number of times on my girlfriends computer (she's a downloader and toolbar collector). Takes probably a few hours at most and she's good as new.

Comment

Good advice from Bob. The sooner you take action the better.

Alternatively, you can try a scan from this site: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

If you identify what bug it is you've got, Norton or other folks often make removal tools for it specifically.

Comment

Reboot in safe mode and run malwarebytes.

Comment

+1 for Malwarebytes. That worked for me when I had that crap. Had to run it a few times though. The main thing is to NOT click on the pop up to have it run the scan/scam for you. Then it detects a bunch of threats that aren't there. That's when you got problems.

Comment

The next thing you should do is dump that Norton and get one of the better AV packages. Norton is on the front line for hackers and it's often invalidated. There's lots of free AVs out there. I won't suggest one because that will just start an argument or rash of worthless "it works for me" posts but there's one that stands above all the others in "most recent" tests (October, 2010). And the best part of it is that it's FREE!

As with any good AV software, you MUST update it daily or let it run under auto update.

Comment

First, I have been told that its not a virus, somebody allowed it. That is why the virus scans won’t fix it.
                        I was not able to remove it from my friends or my son’s computer, but I had some success by stopping it from starting at boot. START RUN type SERVICES.MSC and hit OK. Find it, set it to manual and turn it off.
                        Best of luck, Mike

Comment

Originally posted by bobw53
                          Its worked for me a few times and quite the number of times on my girlfriends computer (she's a downloader and toolbar collector). Takes probably a few hours at most and she's good as new.
                          That's nice to know, but what about the computer

john
                          John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

Originally posted by bobw53
                            Those little "fake" security things that pop up from time to time. They aren't that hard to get rid of. I'm not a computer expert, though I do know just enough to be dangerous. To me and probably to you if you take my advice.

Fire it up in safe mode, delete your anti-virus software. Download MalWareBytes (free version), run the really long scan. System restore, re-download fresh version of Antivirus software, install, scan. And done.

I wasn't aware of this step
                            I bury my work

Comment

I just got rid of this one myself and have removed it from a friend's computer twice, his had a different name (Security tool) but was the same stinkin thing. Simple to do really and you don't even have to do it in safe mode if you have RKill installed, if you don't you should! RKill can be used to shut the damn thing off until it can be uninstalled.

Here is a step-by-step tutorial on removing that rogue program along with free software you might need.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/viru...ecurity-shield

Comment

Working...
                              X