OT-crystal growing in magnetic field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT-crystal growing in magnetic field

I grew some borax crystals awhile ago. Not large, just sparkly little bits on the ends of some strings. Look cool with leds shining on them- could be ok to hang on the tree.

Made me wonder yet again- can you affect the growth of a crystal by having a strong magnetic field crossing the 'growth zone'?
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Borax is a salt of Sodium and Boron. It might be possible if the field is strong enough. Boron isn't magnetic but Sodium is, sort of.

Comment

It's fairly toxic. A gram or two will kill a cat. Sodium tetraborate (Borax) is slightly diamagnetic.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

these are the biggest borax crystals you are ever likely to see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co3jDaWzxUc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6drrYFj91Ko

Edit... sorry ment to type gypsum crystals
        Last edited by dockrat; 12-16-2010, 01:56 PM.
        Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

Well, right at the end of that video there was some disturbing news. After a harrowing, life threatening trek into the cave to retrieve the sample, they found it had grown- a whole millimeter after a year and a half.

Those are definitely some large crystals though. I always wanted to grow a good sized, basically flawless crystal of some kind. I don't know what I'd do with it- look at it from time to time I suppose.
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

They are complaining about it being 122 degrees? That doesn't seam very life threatening to me.
            Andy

Comment

What do you expect there sciences. They work in a 65deF lab. They can come out to my shop in the summer. The un-insulated metallic roof radiates 150deF down at you. If you turn on the shop fan it's like being in a convection oven.

Comment

Yea I seem to recall borax is ant poisen. Definately NOT something to hang on the tree. Kids, Animals, etc. Also if one fell off and got steped on and ground into the carpet/flood, Not good.
                Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Boric Acid is ant poison and is a lot more toxic than Sodium tetraborate. Neither one should be where children or pets can get ahold of it.
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by vpt
                    They are complaining about it being 122 degrees? That doesn't seam very life threatening to me.
                    The record high temperature for Phoenix is 122؛F (50؛C), occurring in June 1990. I didn't experience that, but I have hiked here when it was 119؛F. Any sort of exertion in temperatures this high is dangerous -- obviously the body needs sufficient water, but also salts and nutrients. I wouldn't go into that cave, but if I did I'd want to be out of it toot sweet.
                    Last edited by aostling; 12-16-2010, 04:08 PM.
                    Allan Ostling

Comment

Originally posted by vpt
                      At 100% humidity? Check the heat index on that...
                      http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/heatindex.shtml

With 0-10% humidity, it is a completely different story.

Comment

It isn't just the high temperature, it's the high humidity combined with the high temperatures.

A heat index calculator gives 295 degrees when the temp is 120 and the RH is 80%.Another site gives it as 282 degrees. A third site gives it as roughly the same.

Combine the super high heat index with the rugged going in the cave and it's easy to see just why it's considered so hazardous.

P.S. 2ManyHobbies, you beat me to it!

Comment

Plus if someone falls, they might get diced, sliced- and that aint nice.

Comment

Send in the robots!
                            Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                              Boric Acid is ant poison and is a lot more toxic than Sodium tetraborate. Neither one should be where children or pets can get ahold of it.
                              Isent boric acid what they say to add for eyewash?

Wiki says about boric acid 'Based on mammalian median lethal dose (LD50) rating of 2,660 mg/kg body mass, boric acid is poisonous if taken internally or inhaled in large quantities. However, it is generally considered to be not much more toxic than table salt.'

On borax it says:
                              Borax, sodium tetraborate decahydrate, is not acutely toxic.[13] Its LD50 (median lethal dose) score is tested at 2.66 g/kg in rats:

Weird, Exact same number. I wonder if they mixed the two up, Or if they are just that similar... They also mention borax is an ant poisen, and boric acid is also an ant poisen.
                              (Note, I know wiki is not 100% accurate, but its a good starting point, If you have URL's that contradict this information, I'll be happy to read them and consider them more accurate then wiki)

PS: 100% RH means that your body has basicly 0 evaporative cooling capacity, Hence no way to cool your body, And IIRC your brain cooks around 40c. So 50C + 100% RH = Your screwed without a jacket full of ice.
                              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Working...
                              X