What is this odd plastic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this odd plastic?

I have a chunk of plastic from a rotor from a spin washer for semiconductor manufacturing. Its a whiteish plastic. I can shave pieces off with a knife, translucent in thin sections and is machinable. Here's the weird part. If I hold it and hit it with something is sounds like I am hitting a chunk of aluminum. It rings and sustains.

Any idea what is may be?

Pictures please.

Also touch the edge with a flame. Describe what happens and tell me what the smoke smells like.

BE CAREFUL.
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

Originally posted by Liger Zero

tell me what the smoke smells like.

BE CAREFUL.

hahahaha
      Andy

Comment

Might be a machinable ceramic although that material is usually fired after sizing - that suggested by the comment about the "sound". You note that it came from semiconductor processing equipment so maybe the ceramic - IF it is ceramic - was chosen for chemical inertness or chemical resistance rather than the normal desirable ceramic properties.

If it is plastic, perhaps it's boron nitride ... which usually has a "soapy" feel, conducts heat better than other plastics and has good R.F. properties (low loss tangent, fairly high dielectric constant).

Cheers,
        Randy C

Comment

Identify just about any plastic by following this chart.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

If it is plastic, perhaps it's boron nitride ... which usually has a "soapy" feel
            Did you mean ceramic, instead of plastic?

Comment

Originally posted by vpt
              hahahaha
              I have a large 3-ring binder full of plastic sample "combs" The kit is used to identify plastic materials.

One of the tests is a flame test. You look at how the material melts, weather or not it ignites/burns, HOW it burns and what it looks like as it does.

You can also tell my the odor. HDPE and Delrin smell totally different. There is no mistaking PVC for Nylon.

The BE CAREFUL admonishment comes from a rather strong dislike of dripping hot plastic onto surfaces where hot plastic should NEVER go... like my skin, important documents or the cat.

EDIT: Also Even's chart.
              This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
              Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb

Comment

It does burn. Kind of smell like fireworks and sooty so I am thinking its PPS.

Untitled by macona, on Flickr

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphenylene_sulfide

Originally posted by Wiki Thang

An easy way to identify the plastic is by the metallic sound it makes when struck.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                    Identify just about any plastic by following this chart.

Evan,

You are a marvelous source of information.
                    Paul A.

Make it fit.
                    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Very nice chunk, Looks very reusable
                      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Did you mean ceramic, instead of plastic?

No, although I didn't put any thought into the comment. I used the term in the context with which I'm familiar: as a major additive to engineering plastics, epoxies and the like - good thermal and electrical properties make it a highly useful one.

Casual conversation might become tiresome if we had to qualify terms that we usually take for granted (e.g. composition of "concrete", "steel", "air", "plastic" and the like).

Cheers,
                        Randy C

Comment

Yeah but, boron nitride is a very commonly used ceramic and by itself is almost as hard as diamond. It isn't at all like plastic. Sometimes to avoid confusion it is a good idea to qualify your comments, as in boron nitride filled plastic. I did not know what your meaning was.

Comment

Yeah but, boron nitride is a very commonly used ceramic and by itself is almost as hard as diamond. It isn't at all like plastic. Sometimes to avoid confusion it is a good idea to qualify your comments, as in boron nitride filled plastic. I did not know what your meaning was.
                            Who is confused, what requires qualification and why the argumentative attitude ?

edited to add:

Originally posted by randyc
                            Casual conversation might become tiresome if we had to qualify terms that we usually take for granted (e.g. composition of "concrete", "steel", "air", "plastic" and the like).
                            Last edited by randyc; 12-17-2010, 02:00 AM.

Comment

????

I am not being argumentative. I thought you meant ceramic and instead wrote plastic. Boron Nitride is a ceramic, not a plastic.

You wrote: "If it is plastic, perhaps it's boron nitride ... which usually has a "soapy" feel, conducts heat better than other plastics and has good R.F. properties (low loss tangent, fairly high dielectric constant).
                              "
                              Last edited by Evan; 12-17-2010, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X