What is the real name of this?

What was it used for?

About when was it invented?

It's a scale.

Comment

It's a balance.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

A steelyard. First commercial use I believe was weighing cotton and other agricultural commodities. Invented, who's to say? It uses the same principles as any other balance type weighing device, but I would say around 1800.
        That is undoubtedly the oldest I've ever seen. I recall them in use when I was a kid.
        Last edited by tdmidget; 12-17-2010, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tdmidget
          A steelyard. First commercial use I believe was weighing cotton and other agricultural commodities. Invented, who's to say? It uses the same principles as any other balance type weighing device, but I would say around 1800.
          That is undoubtedly the oldest I've ever seen. I recall them in use when I was a kid.

You are correct.

This is a hanging type gravity balance scale. They were used from the early 1800s to the early 1900s. Very often use to weigh cotton. Used on the farm to weight crops that were hand picked by workers. Also use to weight items for sale in the farmers market.
          Last edited by gary350; 12-18-2010, 12:31 PM.

Comment

around here we call this a roman scale

Comment

Where did you find one that old, and complete? looks to be entirely hand made by a blacksmith.

Comment

Luke, I checked Google maps, but can't locate "around here".

Comment

Originally posted by Luke55
                  around here we call this a roman scale
                  Could be because it was invented by the Romans in the first Century, called a Statera or Steelyard.

The reason I know this is because I found it on the internet

But that's pretty close to the 1800's

Comment

Sorry. Any fifth grader will tell you it's jewelry.

Comment

It isn't a scale, it's a balance. A scale changes it's reading if gravity changes, a balance doesn't. Incidentally that is why gold, diamonds etc are weighed with a balance. The difference between the apparent gravity in Amsterdam and Mexico city is about one half percent.
                      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by tdmidget
                        Where did you find one that old, and complete? looks to be entirely hand made by a blacksmith.
                        Here is one for sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-CAST-IRO...item53dd916eeb

Comment

Looks familiar. Doesn't seem terribly appreciated judging from the current high bid.

Comment

Despite some minor differences, we all got it essentially correct. I assume that we are therefore at least as smart as a 5th. grader.
                            Recalling my own daughter's mental development, at the age of 7 she once said " Gee dad, do you know everything?" When she became a teenager, she changed the question a bit to " Gee dad, don't you know anything?"

Comment

Originally posted by gary350
                              You are correct.

This is a hanging type gravity scale. They were used from the early 1800s to the early 1900s. Very often use to weigh cotton. Used on the farm to weight crops that were hand picked by workers. Also use to weight items for sale in the farmers market.
                              I was picking cotton (by hand) in the mid-late '50s, and oftentimes it was weighed on scales (I'll leave the nomenclature nit picking to Evan) like that. I grew up right at the end of an era. (Didn't every one? ) Just a few years later mechanical pickers were being used exclusively.

(correction)
                              Actually upon a closer look, that one is probably much older than the ones used around home. Those had a much flatter balance bar, and were curved on one end, like the letter J.
                              Last edited by lynnl; 12-17-2010, 11:56 PM.
                              Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Working...
                              X