A request for help with hardware terminology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A request for help with hardware terminology

I'm trying to remember the name for low profile female threaded inserts that were pressed into sheet metal in order to later receive screws. "PEM" nuts keeps resonating in my mind.

Anyone have a name, and more importantly a source, for that type of hardware?

TIA

Fred

Fred, search for Nutserts, you'll find plenty of suppliers.

What size are you needing?

Comment

Try "Rivit Nuts" that's what they are listed under by McMaster Carr.

Comment

Riv-nuts take a special mandrel and similar to pop rivets and are not pressed in as the OP mentioned.

But they do hold better in thin sheet metal.

Comment

Originally posted by Pherdie
          "PEM" nuts keeps resonating in my mind.
          PEM nuts do exist, here: http://www.pemnet.com/fastening_prod...-fastener.html
          Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

What size are you needing?
            Small, 6 X 32 or 4X40, less than a dozen total required . I remembered "pem" studs, but that was over 40 years ago.

Thanks for responding, Ken. I'll search further.

Fred

Comment

I was talking with a guy that works for a large Canadian sheet metal manufacturer, and he consistently referred to those things as PEMs. I had to google it to figure out what the heck he was talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Pherdie
                Small, 6 X 32 or 4X40, less than a dozen total required . I remembered "pem" studs, but that was over 40 years ago.
                I've got a bunch of 4-40 and 6-32 self-clinching nuts made by PEM. PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you a dozen of each.

JCav

Comment

I've got a bunch of 4-40 and 6-32 self-clinching nuts made by PEM. PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you a dozen of each.
                  Thanks for your generous response, JCalalry! I've since opted to go in another direction since my initial posting, making the PEM nuts non-applicable. If I decide to return to that tack, I'll give you a PM and see if the offer still stands.

Thanks again!

Fred

Comment

Working...
                  X