Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Another fine craftsman pursuing a lost art...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Another fine craftsman pursuing a lost art...?

http://www.artisanalpencilsharpening.com/index.html

I suppose with the Internet you can succeed in any niche market. Even the nichiest.
    "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Reminds me of my failed idea for rewinding VHS video tapes.
    .80$ per tape, 20% under the rate charged by renters.
    Never took off.
    Not sure why.
    Now pursuing other interests.
    Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

Build a DVD rewinder.
      Another untapped market would be turn signal fluid, everybody's got turn signals, where's the fluid?
      Hey they sold "pet rocks" didn't they?
      Create a need.
      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Is that man in the in the photograph wearing safety glasses to sharpen a pencil?? Can't be too careful, I suppose.
        Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
        ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

$17 for one (?) pencil hand sharpened.

Are there actually people stupid enough to order?

Comment

Niche

Everyone knows somthing "handmade" is worth more than something machine made. Although precision machined is probably more accurate.
            Last edited by Toolguy; 12-19-2010, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Was it W. C. Fields that said: "There's a sucker born every minute" ??

Comment

Supposedly that was P.T. Barnum of Barnum and Bailey Circus. W.C. Fields had many memorable sayings though.

Comment

If I didn't know better I would have thought it was April 1.
                  gbritnell

Comment

I was going to put up a link to my incanescent light bulb rebuilding service, but you guys will only make light of it.

THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!
                    People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Comment

While I am definitely one to appreciate the skills of fine, hand crafted work from a true artisan; since joining here, I have developed an equal appreciation for the dedication and precision of a talented machinist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKL6elkbFy0

Comment

I wonder if he takes requests for specific angles? Some performance specs would be nice. Are there sharpening options to increase pencil tip life? How about if you want just pure performance?
                        http://gordsgarage.wordpress.com/

Comment

Having had the experience of trying to work with a dull pencil, I can easily see paying mucho for a perfectly sharpened one, but ONLY right when I needed it.
                          Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

I'M RICH

7,000 per hour @ $17 equals $119,000 per hour.

Now if I had done a 10 hour day for a month solid that would have netted me $35,700,000

Now the big question ? Do I take a couple of days off ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Pencil

OT: Another fine craftsman pursuing a lost art...?
                              Originally posted by mickeyf
                              http://www.artisanalpencilsharpening.com/index.html

I suppose with the Internet you can succeed in any niche market. Even the nichiest.
                              Only if you've got a pencil that is long enough with lead in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X