Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I pirate CAM software? (hypothetical question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beanbag
    So what if you aren't making money? Or only a token amount?
    I think if you finish reading my prior post it indicated that I have purchased the software even though I am not making money...... Making money is making money, period.... I personally don't go for the idea "I am only stealing a little from someone else". (sorta sounds like government, but that is a different issue) If you think it is OK then not sure why you posted your question as the answer has already been determined.

One should be able to do a live demo of high $ software before purchasing as I don't believe most marketing hype.

Robert

Comment

Call me crazy, but I believe it is to the advantage that people pirate their software, "IF" the people doing the pirating are young, and doing it to learn the software..
      What better marketing strategy could a company have than a piece of software that everyone knows how to use?
      If you ask me, the companies all know about it, and some probably let it happen on purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Picoprecision
        Marketing strategy? If everyone who knows how to use the software learned by using a stolen version, to whom will the software manufacturer sell their software?

Dirk
        To the big businesses who have an easy time finding people who are qualified to use the software. Solidworks could never be afforded by the average Joe, yet the average Joe knows Solidworks.

Comment

Piracy = Theft

Software Piracy is theft, end of story. Whether you make money out using it is immaterial. Software vendors make their living from selling software and support. Smart vendors will offer educational discounts to valid educational establishments to get students familiar with their products which is then transferred to the workplace.

Turn it round the other way. Joe Blogs doesn't have a lathe, so he comes into you shop, uses your tools and your electricity, when he likes without paying and also stopping you using them. That's no different to piracy.

Admission. I do work in the IT industry and I am currently working for a combined hardware/software vendor, so I have vested interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Br
            Software Piracy is theft, end of story. .
            I can't comment on UK law but here and in the US it is not. The law is very clear on this, it is copyright infringement and case law makes it clear the law does not view it as stealing. Stakeholders like software and the music people lobby hard and would love to see it change, but right now theft is criminal and copyright infringement is not (its civil). Now if you are copying and selling, ie counterfeiting, that can lead to criminal charges, but not copyright infringement itself. That is not say its ok, still against the law. The law provided the holder for exclusive benefits of the copyright, you've infringed, and they can sue.

This was just well covered on PM so I don't want to repeat the whole thing, but an obvious difference are the time lines. It will never be legal for me to take your micrometer, but the law against me using your song or book or software is only for a period of time. Its also not black and white that infringement takes money of the creators jeans; in some instances the item wouldn't/couldn't have been purchased so there is no lost sale.

Anyway, pointing out that is NOT theft isn't the same as saying its ok...copyright infringement is against the law of the land (but not criminal law)....the distinction is important to recognize as scenarios become gray...you need to be clear on what it is else its hard to know how to act.

For example, there is an old manual you've been offered to copy. Company out of business, none available commercially or on ebay. Would you copy it? If you believe copyright infringement is theft, to copy it you would have to believe yourself a thief.....whereas in reality copying it is copyright infringement, not stealing or theft, and only carries civil penalties. Since no one is likely to sue, and i haven't taken revenue from any creator I'd copy it and sleep at night knowing I'm not a thief since it wasn't stealing.
            Last edited by Mcgyver; 12-20-2010, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Jesse James (TV motorcycle guy) got burned by using a pirate copy of MasterCAM. He was discovered when an episode of his show demonstrated how their parts were designed and programmed using the software. At one time the MasterCAM website itemized what it cost him.

MasterCAM pirated copies are everywhere, at an auction a couple years ago I was offered copies by three different individuals. These were casual acquaintances. I turned them all down. MC has a steep learning curve, aside from the thievery issue, I wasn't interested in the time investment since we already have CAM that suits our needs.

Comment

I agree that software piracy, whether you're making money or not, is theft.

But I am very frustrated that Solidworks doesn't have a lite version for amateurs. There's an academic version that's $500/year (which is reasonable, IMHO), but it stops working after a year

As a result, Solidworks is one of the most popular software downloads on the Bittorrent sites. If someone in Dassault marketing had half a brain, they'd bundle a Solidworks Lite version for non-profit purposes. The other CAD vendors have lite versions that print "Lite Version, Not for Profit" on all the prints.
                "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I don't think most software companies are interested in (don't really care about) the little guys (hobby or student) using pirated versions of their software. Its the commercial use that hurts them.
                  And there is an avantage to having a larger number of the population familiar with their software.
                  For me, it was when I started earning money with it that I felt compelled to purchase a legal version.

Comment

Originally posted by cuslog
                    I don't think most software companies are interested in (don't really care about) the little guys (hobby or student) using pirated versions of their software. Its the commercial use that hurts them.
                    I agree with the sentiment, but I struggle with the ethics of it...
                    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by beanbag
                      There is no "company" here. Only a facility that provides a CNC machine, and unrelated people come in with their own g code.
                      Gee, TechShop, huh?

Big Surprise.

We used TurboCAD/CAM. It is pretty decent CAM, and pretty cheap. We also didnt allow code generated from outside. I had to see the code before it was allowed to run. Also no hand generated code. This did a little to prevent piracy.

Comment

Originally posted by DR
                        MC has a steep learning curve,.
                        To clarify, steep means good, correct? As in easy and quick to learn? Its the flat part of learning curve that is miserable....lots effort and time little knowledge gain whereas the steep part you're quickly getting much better.

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                          I agree that software piracy, whether you're making money or not, is theft.

But I am very frustrated that Solidworks doesn't have a lite version for amateurs. There's an academic version that's $500/year (which is reasonable, IMHO), but it stops working after a year

As a result, Solidworks is one of the most popular software downloads on the Bittorrent sites. If someone in Dassault marketing had half a brain, they'd bundle a Solidworks Lite version for non-profit purposes. The other CAD vendors have lite versions that print "Lite Version, Not for Profit" on all the prints.
                          Bingo, their version for non profit is on bit torrents. That is my whole point! I think they know about it and let it fly on "purpose".

Comment

I feel as tempted as Jimmy Carter with his Playboy magazine. Where does one even find these pirated CAD programs?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver
                              To clarify, steep means good, correct? As in easy and quick to learn? Its the flat part of learning curve that is miserable....lots effort and time little knowledge gain whereas the steep part you're quickly getting much better.

Steep means hard to learn. Mastercam has not changed a whole lot since ver 9. Which is good for old users but for new users its a pain in the rear compared to newer CAM packages like OneCNC.

Comment

Look right above your last post. Bittorrent, Pirate Bay or other dubiously named places. Enter at your own risk.
                                Originally posted by AlleyCat
                                I feel as tempted as Jimmy Carter with his Playboy magazine. Where does one even find these pirated CAD programs?

Comment

Working...
                                X