Best online source for material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best online source for material?

Who has the best prices and best selection for different metals online? I'd like to get some of them bookmarked for when I can't find what I need locally.

I prefer SpeedyMetals. There is also Online Metals as well as several others. Google is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by gzig5
      I prefer SpeedyMetals. There is also Online Metals as well as several others. Google is your friend.
      I can vouch for the speediness of Online Metals. They also package pretty solidly. But I've never used SpeedyMetals. (No reason other than habit.)
      ----
      Proud machining permanoob since September 2010

Comment

OnlineMetals is quite expensive.

Speedy is good (fast, cheap). So is MetalExpress. MetalExpress is also a VersaBar distributor.

http://www.metalexpress.net/cgi-bin/...906d3325c1b6eb
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I've had experience with 3 of the online dealers - Onlinemetals, Speedy, and Metals express. Like Lazlo, I bailed out of online when their material and frt costs just couldnt compete with the other 2. Have used Speedy the most and have had no complaints.
          If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo

Speedy is good (fast, cheap). So is MetalExpress. MetalExpress is also a VersaBar distributor.
            I compared prices at many suppliers a while back and industrialmetalsales.com had the lowest prices on 6061 aluminum at around $0.35/in^3 (plus shipping). Onlinemetals.com was close. A quick check and Onlinemetals seems to have gone up to around $0.45 but industrialmetalsales is still about the same. Onlinemetals is still cheaper than speedymetals ($0.47/in^3). They only have multiples of 1 foot lengths in their shopping cart although I think you can get any length if you use stone age ordering methods. Online metals didn't have good prices on garden variety steel, but then, how much steel are you going to sell online when shipping can cost as much as the metal? Asapsource wants about $0.75/in^3. Fastenal (local stores) is about $0.97/in^3. www.metalexpress.com is around $0.53/in^3. Metalbythefoot.com was $46.5. For these quick checks I used 1" square bar or 1" round bar and 36" lengths or closest standard size.

The cheapest supplier can vary with metal, alloy, size, shape, and cut. Some places want a lot to cut the metals. And some have more complicated pricing structures. Also, shipping can be substantial and your distance from the supplier can make a difference, especially for cheap but heavy materials like 1018 or A36. Steel you should try to get locally, if you can. Online prices can be quite high even before shipping.

Comment

I use Speedymetals all the time. Sometimes I have to wrangle with my local store here in Dallas a bit to get an exact cut when I want it because they stick to the + or - 1/8" of what you ask for and it's "always" + 1/8".

When I order from the main website (which I think comes from up North somewhere) I put in the notes if I want the cut exact and it always comes exact.

Their packaging is bullet proof and they're prices are good.
              Last edited by Kenwc; 12-20-2010, 06:23 PM.

Comment

I buy a fair amount from Mcmaster, they usually compare reasonably well with the others, and when throw in with the rest of an order the shipping is usually really reasonable. I usually keep a running "wish list" order on their website, when I run across something I really need I fire off the whole list.

I use Mcmaster all the time for work, so they're always fresh in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by whitis
                  Originally posted by Lazlo

I compared prices at many suppliers a while back and industrialmetalsales.com had the lowest prices on 6061 aluminum at around $0.35/in^3 (plus shipping). Onlinemetals.com was close.
                  I just added a 1" diameter, 1 foot long bar of 6061 aluminum to my cart at Onlinemetals, and Speedy.

Onlinemetals' price is a little more than Speedy's, but their shipping is quite a bit more:

Onlinemetals:

SpeedyMetals:
                  Last edited by lazlo; 12-20-2010, 08:20 PM.
                  "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I'm a fan of SpeedyMetals as well.
                    I've been ordering material from them for over 2 years now, and they've only screwed-up once. A quick phone call, and they shipped the right material to me for free.
                    Sweet.
                    The main reason I use SpeedyMetals, is their very user-friendly website. I love it.

Comment

I ordered a couple feet of DOM tubing from speedymetals.com at 1 pm and it was at my door at 10 am the next day. Price was right too.

Brian
                      OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Working...
                      X