Lunar Eclipse Tease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lunar Eclipse Tease

When I left work I noted the moon was visible under low, thin clouds here in the Seattle area. Later, much higher in the sky, it became much clearer having less angular distance to pass through the clouds. At around 7:00 pm it was muddied some by a thicker cloud layer and again cleared up some.

So now that the eclipse is forming, the cloud deck has grown thick enough that there is nothing but a faint blob. Never the less I will continue to step outside for the next few hours to see if the Seattle weather will throw me a bone.

I could see it until a minute ago. It will be back

Comment

It's a pretty decent eclipse. Unfortunately it is too cold for me to consider taking any real pictures of it.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
        It's a pretty decent eclipse. Unfortunately it is too cold for me to consider taking any real pictures of it.
        A friend in Blackfoot, ID just sent this. It's pretty much what it looks like from here, too.

11:15

10 minutes later:

11:38 Gone!

Last edited by dp; 12-21-2010, 03:51 AM.

Comment

Bugger I missed it. Totally forgot, sky absolutely clear & I took the dog out at the approx time, but on the other side of the house

Thanks for pics.

Just have to wait 95yrs for the next one, by then I will be a sad old git

john
          John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

all i got was clouds.... again

Comment

Originally posted by mike os
              all i got was clouds.... again
              How ironic. It's unseasonably warm in Austin (it's 70° at 9am), but heavy clouds rolled in around Midnight, and you couldn't see the moon at all.
              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

It was solid cloud in London, but I was game, even though I'd spent the day reorganising half my familiy's travel to get them back from Dublin when all the airports were shut down by a few flakes of snow.
                Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

I wanted to make a time lapse movie of the eclipse but my drive and the cameras only work down to around -10 and it was -20 last night. Sigh.
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

It was snowing here.
                    Andy

Comment

I wasn't going to stay up to watch the eclipse, but at 4 AM I got up to use the bathroom, and decided to take the opportunity to step outside and look at the moon. We had a clear sky, but at 24 degrees, I didn't watch for long.
                      The moon was still about 3/4 darkened when I saw it. I did take my binoculars too for a better view. What with it being the winter solstice (shortest day of the year) a full moon, an eclipse of the moon, my late mom's birthday , and the night I put out the garbage, it qualified as a special enough occasion .

Comment

Conditions were basically perfect for viewing here, apart from the cold. Problem was, as usual, I was tied up with several projects and paying jobs, so I just ran outside every few minutes to shoot another couple of frames.

The results weren't bad- helped immensely by the lens image stabilizer- but they could have been better with a good tripod and some preparation.

Later, after things calmed down in the shop, I had a few minutes to get the tripod out, but by that time the moon was entirely occluded, and I had a heck of a time trying to get good focus on what was essentially a slightly-lighter patch of dark sky.

Rebel XT, which I used for the slightly greater "magnification" of it's 1.6 sensor as opposed to the 1.3 of my 1D, a cheap Quantaray doubler, and my 28-300 IS zoom. That particular shot was handheld. No post-processing except for cropping and slight resizing.

Doc.
                        Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

I wanted to make a time lapse movie of the eclipse but my drive and the cameras only work down to around -10 and it was -20 last night. Sigh.
                          Thats probably normal for your area, whats mad is we have been getting down that low in the UK this week, minus teens like -17 otside is/was unheard of,
                          regards
                          mark

Comment

Page down an article or two to see Ctein's images, here. He took them with a 10" Dobsonian and his Olympus Pen. That's the same camera I'm currently traveling with, now visiting friends in Menlo Park, California. I'm inspired to try direct projection, as he did.

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...log_index.html
                            Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

thought I could help

Sorry to have trouble you folks, thought I could post images of the
                              lunar event of last night but can't figure out how so will continue to
                              lurk. (saw the "insert image" icon but asks for a URL, not local file).
                              chad

Comment

Working...
                              X