X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • winchman
    • Aug 2003

Hexasphericon toy video

Some of the long-time members here may remember the hexasphericons I made a while back. They are single surface solids with a continuous flat side winding around them, and look like this:

They're made by joining to pieces into a blank with pin between them. The blank is machined into a cylinder with conical ends. The length of the cylindrical center section is the same as the slant height of the cones, and the cones are sloped at 60 degrees. After the blank is finished, the two halves are rotated 60 degrees to get the final configuration.

Well, I finally got a video camera function with my early Christmas present Cannon camera, and I wanted to post a video of the hexasphericon rolling down an slight incline. (Click on the picture below)

Last edited by winchman; 01-08-2011, 02:41 AM.
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.
  • macona
    • Aug 2006

My head hurts now.

Me want.

BTW, Canon has one "n".

Comment

• BillTodd
      • May 2010

Oh no!

Another thing I'll have to make

Bill

Comment

• lazlo
        • Jun 2006

Wow, very cool!

Did you have a build thread on this?
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

• mochinist
          • Oct 2003

I made one too after seeing that thread years ago, I show it to a lot of people and only one was able to guess how it was made.

Comment

• winchman
            • Aug 2003

The machining steps are here (2 through 18):

This one had a hollow center, which isn't really necessary and requires a bit more machining. You'll also have to do some calculating to avoid a breakthrough.

mochinist, seeing that just made my day. Thanks for posting the pics.
            Last edited by winchman; 12-21-2010, 01:45 PM.
            Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

• GadgetBuilder
              • Nov 2006

More info:

Weird shape, hard to visualize until the dimensions along the split line are given.

John

Comment

Working...
              X