Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bored a big hole(3" dia.) in 1/4" mystery steel

Hi guys:

I'm once again very impressed with the capabilities of Chinese metalworking equipment.

I had to 'Knife and fork' the slug out. My jigsaw blade 'went for a burton' after 300* so I had to finish by chain drilling the last bit. Then I had to bash it out with a hammer (I mean big salad spoon).

I milled 2 of the motor mount bolt slots first so I could use them to bolt the part to the table and prevent the boring head from flinging the part through me into the wall. A bit nerve racking to begin with but I was pretty sure any mayhem wouldn't be fatal.

Here is the finished hole. I must have got most of it right. I took .015" cuts to make my rough hole round, the crap in the bottom is just chips shoved into the plywood, all that cleaned up easily with a Vargus MB-2000 which worked better on this steel than anything else I've ever tried it on.

All-in-all, a good night.
    Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Looks solid. What you makin' other than chips?

rock~
    Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Great lookin hole Mike!! Thanks for the posting!!
      And,,,,,,,,,,,,, Yup,, What the heck are ya makin????

Comment

Very nice finish! Its hard to get a good finish like that on mild steel. Mystery metal.. Who knows!
        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Motor mount

I'm making a motor mount to fit the C-face on my new 3HP 3 phase motor. The 2nd pic shows 2 of motor mount bolt slots cut, and the 3" hole allows the 1-1/8" motor shaft to shift 1/2" either way in the slots. Actually, the center shaft hole only needed to be ~ 2-1/4" Dia. and had I thought this through I might have made it smaller but after boring some easy holes in 'wood laminate' I was feeling a bit invincible and didn't grasp the enormity of the task at hand.

Kinda new at the boring head thing and didn't realize how scary it would look with the cutter so far from center. However, the Chinese mill and tooling sucked it up and came through with flying colours. I used 'Buttercut' and made the finishing cut at .005".

There are other parts yet to be made, I'm not just going to hang the 1/4" plate off the back. The new motor weighs 75Lbs as opposed to the stock 50Lb motor. The existing swinging mount will be gone and the new pulley is lighter so I think I'll end up about 15Lbs heavier than stock.

Thanks for your interest.

Mike
          Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

Working...
          X