Magnetic v blocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnetic v blocks

I recently purchased and recieved today a set of blocks like these (not the actual vendor just appears to be a similar product).....they appear to have no magnetism. Does anyone have a similar set and can comment on their abilities. I'm not sure if they are just intented to be a magnetic medium mounted on a magnetized plate but in their present state appear to be useless as far as the magnetic part? Perhaps I should have opted for the DI base style with the switch......

http://cgi.ebay.com/PAIR-MAGNETIC-V-...item3a5bcdd169
    Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Those are for use on magnetic chucks. They are laminated so the magnetic flux passes through and to the work piece you are grinding.

Comment

Thx well I guess I'll put them away and have to order the other type which should benefit me better.....
      Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Comment

For use on surface grinders. But IMO the comercial ones are poorly designed. When I made my own I had one side of the Vee short so as to allow more flexibility of use. Plus I made a lot more than just 45D.
        Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Go to ebay and search "magnetic v block".

A Brown and Sharpe used is about $175.

Imports are around $30.

They have a knob that turns to actuate the magnet, much like some magnetic bases.

Brian
          OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Do be aware that the magnetic V-blocks with magnets are still only suitable for use on a grinder. They do not have the holding power for more vigorous machining.
            Jim H.

Comment

Hardtail,

The ebay ad is really mis-representing the items calling them "magnetic v-blocks". They should use the term "transfer blocks" or something similar I reckon.

Comment

One other thing that should be mentioned:

With transfer blocks, the laminations need to be running the same direction as the laminations in your magnetic chuck. Otherwise......BOOM!

Comment

Originally posted by smalltime
                  One other thing that should be mentioned:

With transfer blocks, the laminations need to be running the same direction as the laminations in your magnetic chuck. Otherwise......BOOM!
                  I had picked up this little collection for about $40 (shipped) and was surprised to find they actually DO work at 90؛ to parallel with the laminations. While it's not 100% of the transfer that I get when used in the "proper" orientation, they do still have plenty of holding power for smaller parts and light passes.

Comment

Working...
                  X