• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World's largest aircraft...

Wow, I didn't know this existed...

http://www.apinsights.info/Worlds_Largest_Plane.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-225

It debuited at the Paris airshow probably about 15+ years ago now......was a foggy rainsoaked day and the crowds could hear it coming.....as it broke through the clouds they caught sight of a mid sized plane and then the beast came into view with that mid sized plane strapped atop it.........when it landed and was taxiing in the impressed crowds gasped as the plane turned off the runway into the soaked grass infield where they thought it would sink to it's belly and never move again.......wrong it sloshed through with those huge floatation tires......the 225 and it's smaller brother were built to fly huge antennae sections into Siberia......either carrying cargo within or lashed atop outside.

I has seen the smaller 125 in person......impressive for size but the fit finish is shabby....overlapped riveted sheeting instead of butt joined......

I believe they hire out worldwide for big jobs.......
    Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Comment

Yes, it's a beauty! There was a Discovery superstructures program on it, and the company - Antonov Design Bureau - that operates it. The videos are on youtube I think.

I saw the 4 engined version flying in and out of Malabo, Equatorial New Guinea a few times, never saw the 6 engined one.

Ian
      All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Sometimes flies into East Midlands Airport about 5 miles from us to collect Rolls Royce Trent engines.
        The smaller 4 engined one is often in but the big one comes in about 5 or 6 times a year.

We are on one of the flight paths depending on wind etc and often see it.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Likewise I saw its "little" brother fly several times some years back and had the opportunity to crawl over it. Indeed I watched a display just out of Sydney that had the Russian pilots on notice that if they ever did any maneuvers like that again they would be grounded! It was a very, VERY impressive display.

Interestingly when this aircraft was first rumoured the US military tried to convince everyone it was a hoax and it was "physically impossible" to construct an aircraft of that size, particularly given the "crude" Russian engineering. The Russians simply said "ok ... whatever" (or the equivalent in Russian I guess) and simply showed up at the next big airshow with it!

Comment

There is nothing wrong with Russian engineering or design... it's Russian QUALITY CONTROL and Russian "training" that is the problem.

Especially with their military nuclear training. How many ships do they have on permanent retirement due to "reactor mishaps?" Quite a few.

They are getting better though.
            This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
            Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
            Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

I have it on good authority that this is Russia's largest aircraft

Comment

Originally posted by dewat
                I have it on good authority that this is Russia's largest aircraft

From the Photoshoptamat Design Company I take it
                Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/russian-K...y-bomber.shtml

Comment

Russian engineering has a very distinct look to it, especially when it comes to aircraft. They like engines, lots and lots of engines.

The ANT-20, aka the Maxim Gorky:

The surface effect Ekranoplan KM which holds the record for the heaviest load ever lifted off the surface by something with wings.

And, another surface effect monster, the LUN.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

That really is incredible --- look at its wings when sitting idle as compared to flying, ohh the stress loads, wonder what its "foot per gallons" (FPG ) consumption rate is?

I like the looks of that Ekranoplan Evan posted -- what a sleek water bird.

Whats with the Lun? is it a missal launcher?

Comment

I love the air-conditioning system in that monster.
                        Two fans mounted to the cockpit window.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Burdick
                          Wow, I didn't know this existed...

http://www.apinsights.info/Worlds_Largest_Plane.html
                          If you watch that short-lived, but irritating show on Discovery Channel: World's Biggest Jobs (or something like that), several episodes involve the use of the Antonov to freight oversize items, like the 747 pressure hull.
                          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

From the always-accurate wikipedia:

One An-225 was completed in 1988 and a second An-225 has been partially completed. The one An-225 is in commercial operation carrying oversized payloads.
                            There's only one.

And it was made to transport the Buran orbiter.

Russian QC where aviation is concerned is terrifying.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ennis
                              From the always-accurate wikipedia:

"One An-225 was completed in 1988 and a second An-225 has been partially completed."
                              I gather it's not commercially viable. In the 747 repair, they had the option of shipping the pressure dome in sections and assembling in Paris, or fabricating at Boeing and shipping it assembled in the Antonov. They mention that it's a couple of million dollars/day to rent it, and I bet there's not a huge profit margin on that cost...
                              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Working...
                              X