No announcement yet.

Rusted up chuck thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

before you take the angle grinder to it ..

try putting a bolt in the chuck jaws..a large bolt

then use an impact gun on it .

all the best.markj

Comment

Originally posted by Ron of Va
      The reason a good smack to the rusted part is so effective is that it creates microscopic fractures in the bond between the rusted part and the rust. These microscopic fractures let the penetrate work its way inside to do its magic, instead of just sitting on the surface.

I usually use a punch and a hammer against strategic places to create the most fractures without damaging the part. Your patience is your friend.
      2X on tapping on the rusted parts. One can always use a soft punch (brass, copper, aluminum, wood, etc) to reduce the possibility of damaging the assembly. If you have a descaler (we called them needle guns in the Navy) that would also be a good way to introduce vibration without damage.

Comment

The ATF/acetone reference came from a study which was published in one of the Village Press mags. I have used it, had no trouble getting the ATF to mix with the acetone, and found it to work very well indeed.

I have heard, though, that the best possible penetrating oil is oil of wintergreen (methyl salicylate).

Kroil works OK but I found ATF/acetone to work better. It's a pain to store, though, as the acetone evaporates. So you have to mix it up at the time of use, thus it's not as convenient. If you need a large volume, though, it's also cheap.

metalmagpie

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon
          before you take the angle grinder to it ..

try putting a bolt in the chuck jaws..a large bolt

then use an impact gun on it .

all the best.markj
          Exactly!
          This along with a couple of days with the penatrent of choice, (I like Kroil) and that thing will rattle right of.
          I like to use a 3/4" impact on things like this as it gives a soo much more sharp impact.

Think of the force you exert on a wheel nut of your car or truck with an 18" flex bar while removing a wheel. Even with a 1/2" impact you can stand back and at arm's length the force of the impacts rattle the nut loose without effort.
          Same principle.
          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Uh, Exactly how many totaly diffrent types of ATF are there? I seem to recall theres like 5 or 6 diffrent types of 'dextron' released over the years alone!

PS: I kinda suspect an impact gun won't do much at all when it trys to impact a 20lbs+ chuck insted of a 0.2lb nut, Except maybe ruin your jaws.
            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
              Uh, Exactly how many totaly diffrent types of ATF are there? I seem to recall theres like 5 or 6 diffrent types of 'dextron' released over the years alone!

PS: I kinda suspect an impact gun won't do much at all when it trys to impact a 20lbs+ chuck insted of a 0.2lb nut, Except maybe ruin your jaws.
              Try it before you knock it.

Of course if you'd rather lean on it with a 5 ft. 2x4 in the chuck jaws be my guest. This technique is great for learning the nuances of jaw alignment, not to mention back gear replacement when used on lathes so equipped.

Comment

Try what before I knock it? dextron 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6?
                Or maybe I need ATF type A? or F?
                Or one of the 5 types of Chrysler ATF.

Do I need import Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II for metric rusted bolts?
                BMW LT7114l for expensive luxury bolts?
                How about Toyota Type T? or can I use one of the aftermarket ATF fluids?

Seriously, saying "use atf" is JUST as vauge as saying "use oil"

Some ATF like used in CVT's is actualy designed to INCRESS friction under pressure!
                Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Try what before I knock it?
                  The impact gun.
                  Was I talking about ATF?

Comment

I believe the article in one of the village press mags the author used 'power steering fluid.' Don't know the difference between psf and atf. Maybe psf is type A atf. My friends who beg, borrow, or steal a batch from me swear by it. Around here it is called, 'miracle juice'. Acetone has a high vapor pressure and if left in a squirt bottle will squirt out the spout all by itself. Escpecially in the summertime.\
                    I have Kroil, WD-40, PBlaster, liquid wrench and assorted other solvents from acetone to VM&P naptha. The ATF or psf beats them all for me. I also have a torch and a BIG hammer if all else fails.
                    John Burchett
                    in Byng OK

Comment

But no one has yet been able to make them mix so what's up with that?
                      Since those who swear by this say that mixed them it would seem that their ingredients are not what they believed them to be.

Comment

I was not sure what you where talking about, You did'nt say, So I assumed it was the subject of my post and not the PS.

tdmidget: Some people say they got them to mix, and others say they can't, Making me think some types of ATF mix, and others do not.

Comment

Originally posted by kc5ezc
                          I believe the article in one of the village press mags the author used 'power steering fluid.' Don't know the difference between psf and atf. Maybe psf is type A atf. My friends who beg, borrow, or steal a batch from me swear by it. Around here it is called, 'miracle juice'. Acetone has a high vapor pressure and if left in a squirt bottle will squirt out the spout all by itself. Escpecially in the summertime.\
                          I have Kroil, WD-40, PBlaster, liquid wrench and assorted other solvents from acetone to VM&P naptha. The ATF or psf beats them all for me. I also have a torch and a BIG hammer if all else fails.
                          my power steer fluid in my car is dextron 2.

all the best.markj

Comment

Currently I'm attacking with Penetrene - I think it's a local brew (but then I've never heard of Kroil)
                            http://qsmart.net.au/Penetrene1.htm
                            It contains Tetrachloroethylene, which is probably good. I had a friend who maintained that the less environmentally friendly something was, the better it would work
                            According to the web site it's the best there is, but I've never seen a product marketed as anything but that. Still, they've been making it since 1924, so it may have something going for it. It looks a lot like auto trans fluid, although perhaps a bit thinner.
                            I'll see what I can do to get some vibration in there. I don't have air tools, but I can probably find a hammer drill that I can push against a block I mount or something.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
                              Some ATF like used in CVT's is actualy designed to INCRESS friction under pressure!
                              So what do 'actualy' and 'incress' mean in Canada?

Comment

metalmagpie: means I need to work on my spelling more.

Comment

Working...
                                X