• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accuracy of the Busy bee 10x18 B2227L lathe

ever wouder how good these machines are well here you go enjoy the video,

here is the youtube link feel free to leave comments

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMC_G22SuCM

Sorry but that procedure tells you nothing about the accuracy of the machine. About the only thing it is capable of showing is any none cyclical errors in the spindle bearings.

Phil

Originally posted by airsmith282

Comment

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."
      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

now thats funny as sh*T

Comment

I couldn't watch the whole thing. He made assumptions that aren't true, and he had the indicator mounted poorly to make that measurement. I was about a half thou of runout, and probably with the angled mounting of the indicator stem it ended up showing less than there might be.

If the runout I interpreted is roughly correct, it's no wonder he needed that many spring passes to 'clean up' the stub. He probably is more or less correct that the stub is now 'round'. After that many passes, all the high spots have been knocked off, and what's left is something smaller in diameter than you may have wanted, but probably fairly round.

I looked at that lathe, but I didn't ask to hear it run. Now that I've heard it- hmm, that whine would drive me crazy, and the loose rocks sound would as well. I'm hoping that all gear head lathes aren't that noisy-
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Most of the gear heads I've heard are a much quieter than that lathe.
            Harry

Comment

Probably decent for the money.

Comment

Originally posted by beckley23
                Most of the gear heads I've heard are a much quieter than that lathe.
                Harry
                Until you get them loaded up.....with a few beers.

As for the video, it's really funny. His not knowing if the lathe came from China or Taiwan (or even that it made a difference) got me started. His thinking that the runout on the cylinder he'd just done was a measure of the lathe's "accuracy" had me falling out of the chair. Thankfully, I was able to hit something that closed the video, or I'd probably have died laughing.
                Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
                  Hey, I resemble that remark!
                  Milton

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

What a plonker,if he's using a HSS tool bit,1520 rpm is a bit fast for that diameter.
                    Judging by the number of times he retracted the clock probe and let it flirt back into contact with the work I doubt the clocks any good for any accurate work,not that it would matter anyway if he sets it up like that.

Allan

Comment

Hey Its Christmastime------

I owe my success to those who took the time, and cared enough, to show me the proper way to do things. Kevin's video leaves more questions than answers.Lets look at what he has done so far, and suggest how he can do better, instead of just criticising. Regards and Happy Christmas to all David Powell.

Comment

Originally posted by darryl
                        I couldn't watch the whole thing. He made assumptions that aren't true, and he had the indicator mounted poorly to make that measurement. I was about a half thou of runout, and probably with the angled mounting of the indicator stem it ended up showing less than there might be.

If the runout I interpreted is roughly correct, it's no wonder he needed that many spring passes to 'clean up' the stub. He probably is more or less correct that the stub is now 'round'. After that many passes, all the high spots have been knocked off, and what's left is something smaller in diameter than you may have wanted, but probably fairly round.

I looked at that lathe, but I didn't ask to hear it run. Now that I've heard it- hmm, that whine would drive me crazy, and the loose rocks sound would as well. I'm hoping that all gear head lathes aren't that noisy-
                        the **** noise you hear is cause is the crapy mic on my camera, for one, 2 i have built pellet guns with this last amonge other stuff like axels , barrel mods, recrowing of barrels, many many differnt guns parts that have very tight tolerences that have had to be very percise and this lathe has no problem doing that sort of work at all, ,
                        if you knew how to make a percision part which sounds like you cant , then you would know that muilty passes for finel clean up to the exact percice sizing is required, oh did i say that ,am i sounding like a know it all again , dam you know you gota lot to learn yet i think,oh wait i know you gota lot to learn yet..

have a great day ,

Comment

am i sounding like a know it all again , dam you know you gota lot to learn yet i think,oh wait i know you gota lot to learn yet..

have a great day ,
                          Tell me about it, those who think they know it all really piss off those of us who do.
                          "the ocean is the ultimate solution"

Comment

Can We have this thread locked before It gets any farther away from real machining than it is.

Steve

Comment

When measuring with a dial indicator, the probe has to be at exactly 90 degrees to the work.

This is the test chart that came with my lathe... All measurements are in mm. But provided what you own does what you want it does not matter what anyone else thinks..

Last edited by .RC.; 12-25-2010, 05:41 PM.
                              Precision takes time.

Comment

Working...
                              X