Swarfware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swarfware

What have you found to be the best type of clothing to wear during machining ops? Meaning, what is less likely to catch and hold chips/slivers in the material.
    Best regards and Merry Christmas,
    HAP
    Who do I think you are...?

Leather............tends to be heavy (depending on thickness), but has excellent durability.........

Wife likes it with the mask and whip............
    RPease

Comment

Originally posted by RPease
      Leather............tends to be heavy (depending on thickness), but has excellent durability.........

Wife likes it with the mask and whip............
      What, you wear the mask & she hits you with the whip

john
      John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

Better than wearing a mask and being shot with the gun!

Comment

All joking aside... ........I have a leather shop apron that I sometimes use if I'm expecting lots of flying chips. Does a great job of deflecting chips from the clothes. It's got a fairly smooth surface and doesn't get the small imbedded stuff. I've tried the welding smocks and apron (also leather) but mine is kind of rough and still picks up chips. Works much better for weld splatter.

If it's a quick short job, most of the time, I grab a denum apron. Does a decent job, but still not as good as the leather.
          RPease

Comment

The shop apron stays in the shop, so the stray bits of swarf don't matter much.

Dan
            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

The shop apron has always been the machinists first choice for a reason.
              That's what they are made for.
              "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~ Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Denim, leather etc - all work fine.

But... what's the worst? IMO... Polarfleece... My shop get real cold, and Polarfleece abounds on the coathooks by the door, but every chip from the mill will stick INTO the fleece, either by melt or just "grab". Of course, only an idiot wears PF in front of a mill
                Last edited by lakeside53; 12-25-2010, 12:44 PM.

Comment

I use a chip shield or try and stand out of the way of flying chips, leather is nice when they cant be avoided, but gets awfully hot here in AZ.

Comment

Larger machines is the answer of course.

My lathe is too light to take decent cuts & be done so there's tiny little ringlets and chips 'til hell won't have any more.
                    Len

Comment

Leather is good but only the wife likes to see me in the chaps.

I do have both leather and denim aprons. They both work well. But the best clothing I use is denim overalls. Jump into them and head to the shop. Jump out of them when I go inside for lunch or at the end of the day. If it is cold out, insulated long johns are underneath to keep warm.

Multiple sets are a good thing as well. I have been called "The Fonz" as I run out to the auto parts store due to the colors. It fun if nothing else.

rock~
                      Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by mochinist
                        I use a chip shield or try and stand out of the way of flying chips.
                        I was standing about five feet away and up stream from the Cincinnati the other day waiting for it to complete a pass and out of nowhere a fingernail sized blue chip came in under My ball cap and over My glasses and stuck in the corner of where My eye lid meets My nose. I guess I'm going to have to switch to a full face shield and wear the hat backwards.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by doctor demo
                          I was standing about five feet away and up stream from the Cincinnati the other day waiting for it to complete a pass and out of nowhere a fingernail sized blue chip came in under My ball cap and over My glasses and stuck in the corner of where My eye lid meets My nose. I guess I'm going to have to switch to a full face shield and wear the hat backwards.

Steve
                          I ended up with a nice lil sliver in my eye one time, I was deburring a part on the deburr wheel and the sliver managed to bounce off my cheek, then the inside of my safety glasses, then into my eye

Goggles would probably be the best thing to wear, but the newer safety glasses seem to wrap and hug my face better than the old ones did and I just stick with those.

Comment

what's the worst? IMO... Polarfleece... My shop get real cold, and Polarfleece abounds on the coathooks by the door, but every chip from the mill will stick INTO the fleece, either by melt or just "grab".
                            My vote for worst would be an oversize big cable knit sweater...material nearly irrelevant...its like a magnet for anything...metal, wood and next to impossible to get even most of the slivers/chips out...wore it once when in a hurry (you know, those short stops that end up being most of an afternoon?) and can't use it for anything else but that again.

Comment

Yeah, I kinda like wool sweaters, corduroy shirts and stretch pants. After a while it doesn't matter anymore about the chips- a bit of a bear though if you have to take them off and put them back on-

Having a beard and hair helps control the chips- though I don't have much hair left to gather swarf
                              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
                              X