No announcement yet.

Swarfware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Denim is great. Holds a little grinding dust, but otherwise great... Also stops wires from 10,000rpm cup wheels.. you feel a little prick, and they do tend to stick in.. but otherwise it stops them.. :P

Also tends to work well for weld splatter, splatter does not stick to it, and when it does, it tends just to stay on the surface as burnt denim just sorta stays intact for a little while.

Of course, Leather is better for all these, but leather pants are a pain...

Protip if you like wearing sandles like me, or just easy to melt shoes: Buy some of the leather welding shoe guards. They are great! little annoying to put on/off, but less annoying then doing the funky chicken infront of the lathe as the tool nears the chuck under autofeed. Also works great for welding..
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Leather - Looks like mine could do with a pressure wash.

Since this photo I have added a flap over the pcket - (saves needing to empty it from time to time)
      Mark
      oops just noticed the fleece!
      What you say & what people hear is not always the same thing.
      www.remark.me.uk

Comment

ah- fleece! that was the other word I was looking for! No, I don't really wear wool sweaters and spandex in the shop- or anywhere- just to clear that up

In seriousness, I would have said denim is ok, but would also have suggested that if it's ironed, it's better.

I am sporting a beard at the present time, and it can be an issue- I get these funny little burnt hair smells from time to time-
        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by darryl
          ....I am sporting a beard at the present time, and it can be an issue- I get these funny little burnt hair smells from time to time-
          Yup - get that as well, also bearded Bikers tend to collect stuff in the fuzz on a long summer ride but after quick comb through at least you can knock up a light consommé - can't do that with swarf..............
          Mark
          What you say & what people hear is not always the same thing.
          www.remark.me.uk

Comment

It's normally hotter than Mercury in my shop, so I'll be wearing shorts and a t-shirt. But if I'm making a lot of blue chips, I really like the Tillman heavy leather welding apron. $18 at most welding suppliers. Mine's a bit newer than Marks'

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Cotton duck shop apron year round. T shirts in the summer, cotton or poly-cotton work shirts in the winter. Doing woodwork I might wear a sweatshirt in the winter, but will take it off or put an oversize work shirt on over it working at the mill or lathe. Depends on the shop temperature at the time.

David
              David Kaiser
              “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
              ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...
              X