No announcement yet.

Involute cutter identification.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't you just roughly measure the angle of the tooth on the cutter? 14.5 and 20 degree is pertty different.
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

'nuff stuff

BM.

Its hard enough to measure (guess?) the "angle" on a gear with convex faces and its a lot harder on a gear cutter with ony small gaps between the teeth and concave curves/sides.

The maths provided all that was needed as the OP's cutter had enough information to work out the Pressure Angle (PA).

Comment

All geared-up

Originally posted by Terry L
        Thanks to both of you. I really appreciate it. I have cut a few gears, but not many, using an involute cutter and a dividing head. I've even repaired a metric gear using an American cutter. My set-up probably wasn't correct, but it worked. So I was happy.

Another thing I was wondering is which is the most commonly used.....the 14.5 or the 20 degree PA ?
        Glad to help Terry.

Lazlo is correct regarding the use if 14 1/2* and 20* PA gears.

I prefer 20* as it is stronger, matches nearly all my Chinese tool gears (metric) and does not undercut so much with gears with less than (I think) 32 teeth (I need to look that up).

These tables should set you right as regards gear tooth proportions/sizes:

The DP (USA and UK) gear system is the inverse of the metric modular system:

DP - 1/Mod

Mod = 1/DP

The gear proportions are the same.

Here is a table of both DP and Modular fit together to that with a bit of luck and care a Mod cutter can repair a DO gear and vice versa.

You can always use a narrower cutter, set it to the required tooth depth of cut and take three cuts - one centred and one each left and right. Its easy enough to measure the teeth - several ways - with shop vernier calipers or a disc micrometer.

It may not be perfect but it will get you going.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Yes, it does help. Again, thank you and I appreciate it.

Terry

Comment

Okay I've found a No1 cutter of correct DP and pressure angle, but for 65 teeth I need a No2 cutter.
            How wrong would it be to cut a 65-tooth gear with the No1? would it mean more backlash, binding, or just a totally incorrect tooth profile?
            Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
            Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
            Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Peter,

Take a look at this.

Green is the 65 tooth gear.
              Brown is a 135 tooth gear i.e. cut with a No1 cutter, the 5 thou dimension is the error per side.

BUT if you make the blank 12 thou on diameter smaller and cut with a No1 cutter to normal depth you get the tooth shape in red.

I think that's about the best you can do, for a non critical application it will work fine.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Thanks John - I think I'll go with that then. £25 material and £20 cutter is all it's going to cost me, and I can share the cutter cost with another guy. I have an old 40:1 dividing head so I'll make a suitable plate and cut it my mill.

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Need more help. Just waiting for the guy with the No1 cutter to get back so I thought I'd take another look around.

Can someone work their magic on this one - it doesn't list the depth or the PA.

http://cgi.ebay.com/B-S-MFG-Gear-Too.../200526505458?

B&S MFG Gear Tooth Cutter 2-12 DP 55 To 134T D+F .134

What is D+F?

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Total cutting depth.
                    D = depth
                    f = clearance.

edit.
                    That depth doesn't tie up with a standard cutter, sounds like an American stub tooth.
                    Last edited by John Stevenson; 12-31-2010, 08:28 AM.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

*makes rude comment*

Thanks again, John. I have everything I need now bar the actual cutter itself. If I had the material I'd even have a bash at making a cutter. It sucks having a whole 5 days off work and not being able to do something interesting coz the shops are all shut!

I'll console myself by machining the internal features on the blank and making a mandrel to mount it on my dividing head.

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Working...
                      X