Rifle Rest project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rifle Rest project

A friend hosts a rifle league in the Winter that requires entrants to furnish a "Blanket Prize" that is home-made. All entrants' prizes are placed on display at the last shoot, and the winner gets first pick, then on down the line. Some of the prizes reflect quite a lot of effort, and they do not have to be shooting related.

The Dec/Jan issue of Machinist's Workshop has an article on a "Scrap Box Rifle Rest". It looked interesting, and seemed to be a good project for a gift.

Anyway, here's my prize for this year:

I took the author literally; most of the pieces/parts came from the scrapyard where I shop regularly. About the only exceptions were 4 Allen screws, some 5/16" drill rod, and the bag (not shown) that goes on the top. Substitutions were made: 5/16-18 threads instead of 5/16-24, 3/4-10 all-thread for the elevation screw, and sizes were picked from available stock. I also used brass for all the knobs, including one for the elevation lock screw.

No time sheets were kept, but there's probably about 15 hours in the project.

That one looks good, it should have enough mass to keep everything steady.

Comment

It looks way to nice to be given away!!!

THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!
      People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Comment

That's a nice rig...I would be proud to win it!

David
        David Kaiser
        “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
        ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Not only is it nice work but the fifteen hours of time spent indicates a level of proficiency that many of us might envy !! (If I carried that thing onto the local range, not much shooting would happen for a while - everyone would be hanging around my bench, admiring it - and NOBODY would believe that I'd made it, LOL.)

Did you weigh it, by any chance ?

Cheers,
          Randy C
          Eureka, CA
          Last edited by randyc; 12-26-2010, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Wow, I thought I was hanging out at a pretty good shooting range.... I gotta move up in the world! Real nice work!

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, fellas!

It weighs a bit over 12#, somewhat lighter than the original, but I made the body and legs from lighter material, as that's what was in my stock pile.

I've thought about building another for me, but don't know if I'm that ambitious. :-)

As far as the "shooting range", this is an indoor setup, above my friend's woodshop. When he was planning the building, he realized that if he made it a bit longer than his original thought, he'd have room for a 50' range upstairs. There's room for 4 shooters on the line, and the backstop is good for only .22's, but it's pretty nice. The league is invitation only and usually has about a dozen shooters. As it's handicapped, everyone has a chance of winning. In theory! The better shooters usually are at the top, as there's only 5 matches, and most guys are consistent enough that there's not a lot of place movement.

Comment

Is the base a repurposed roll around chair or similar?
                Nice work!
                olcop

Comment

Working...
                X