Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much end play is normal in South Bend 10K lathes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much end play is normal in South Bend 10K lathes?

Just got a CDCO 5C chuck and back plate. The back plate needs some machining to fit the chuck. I threaded it onto my 10K southbend lathe spindle to check for run out and it runs pretty true--about +/- .001 with my dial indicator mounted in the compound perpendicular to the face of the adaptor. That could be finish roughness.

When I was rotating the backplate by hand, I pushed lightly on it to see if there was play in it. If I rotate the backplate and am careful about only putting force on it to turn it I get good readings. However if I press moderately toward the spindle, I can get a couple of thousanths of play and a audible clunk.

What end play is normal in a South bend lathe and how do you adjust it?

On the 9" lathes there is a locking collar on the back end of the spindle you can tighten. I used to have an adjustment procedure for the SB but I cant find it.

You will probably get the quickest response by posting in the SB forum on practicalmachinist.

Comment

Originally posted by mikem
      What end play is normal in a South bend lathe and how do you adjust it?
      Two ready sources for the answer:

The SB forum on Yahoo:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbendlathe/

(JimB or Turk will know this cold)

the SB forum on my HSM site (link below)

Best,

Nelson

Comment

The end play is taken up by the threaded take up collar on the left end of the spindle. You will need to loosen the screw and then thread the collar up and take all but about .0005"-.001" out of it, then tighten the screw back up. On the 9" machine one of the upgrades is to change this fiber washer out for (2) hard washers and a needle bearing which will allow you to run with basically no clearance and makes the machine cut much smoother. Not sure about the bearing fitting the 10K though.

Comment

Working...
        X