This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plagiarism in Wikipedia

While searching for information on packing problems in mathematics I noticed two hits in the list that have identical excerpts. One was in Wikipedia and the other from a book listed on Google. That caught my eye immediately so I checked it out.

The article here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometrical_frustration

contains long sections of identical text from the book here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=pG6...roblem&f=false

The book is not listed as a reference and it is not attributed as a source for the text published in Wikipedia. The book is still under copyright.

Perhaps someone would like to lodge an objection?
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Not me, I have better things to do.
    Who's to say the book guy didn't plagarize yet another source?
    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Well Evan, given that you're singlehandedly responsible for the overhaul of the Canadian postal system ... apparently. If you find this entry so objectionable, rather than posting about it on a bulletin board on machining, of all places, why don't you lodge an objection? Heck, you may even use the facility I believe Wikipedia has in place specifically for that purpose!

Comment

Rabbits

As Evan is so interested in "setting things right" and chasing rabbits down holes - why doesn't he do it or more particularly why hasn't he?

I'd sure appreciate seeing him credited for/with having the plagiarism recognised and remedied.

But, to give credit where its due, Evan did find it and it seems that WP's filtering systems did not.

Comment

Who's to say the book guy didn't plagarize yet another source?
          Nobody may say he did, including you. Even if it were true it makes no difference.

why doesn't he do it or more particularly why hasn't he?
          I don't know how.

Comment

???????

Originally posted by Evan

I don't know how.
            You WHAT???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...rticle_problem
            Last edited by oldtiffie; 12-29-2010, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie
              You WHAT???
              ok, that was funny!

Comment

Last time I tried I got mired down in some sort of mess that wouldn't allow me to proceed. I gave up on it.

Comment

Comment

That's really funny coming from you.

Comment

Plagiarism is not the serious issue, the biggest problem comes for the half baked information on their. Some of the stuff I looked up was not even close to reality, it seems the internet will probagate BS rather quickly. Best thing to do is rely on old fashioned printed reference books that have reviewed by doctorate level reviewers

Comment

Evan, since you were able to fix the Canadian Custom's service and get Walmart to change their architectural designs, I have complete faith that you'll be able to figure out how flag an article for plagiarism.

Plagiarism is just a fact of life when you have Wiki entries contributed and edited by hundreds of thousands of mostly anonymous participants. I've seen several estimates that around 2% of Wiki articles contain plagiarized references.

Plagiarism by Wikipedia editors

Anyone can be a Wikipedia Editor/Contributor -- you just have to sign-up for a Wikipedia account. If you want to be a Wikipedia "Administrator" -- you just need ~ 5 - 6 months as an active contributor, without any flame wars. LOL!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Administrators
                        Last edited by lazlo; 12-29-2010, 05:32 PM.
                        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                          While searching for information on packing problems in mathematics I noticed two hits in the list that have identical excerpts. One was in Wikipedia and the other from a book listed on Google. That caught my eye immediately so I checked it out...

...The book is not listed as a reference and it is not attributed as a source for the text published in Wikipedia. The book is still under copyright.

Perhaps someone would like to lodge an objection?
                          Alert the publisher and let them sort their way through Wikipedia to deliver their cease and desist. They are the injured party, after all.
                          Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                          ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

If I would be a Canadian hobby astronomer that is technically challenged, I'd post that in a unrelated forum.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                              Best thing to do is rely on old fashioned printed reference books that have reviewed by doctorate level reviewers
                              Keep in mind the saying "liars, damn liars, and statisticians"

Remember also I have a doc

Comment

Working...
                              X