50 SCFM @ 100 psia--Pure simplicity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 SCFM @ 100 psia--Pure simplicity

Looks like something Mr. Winchman would come around the corner with. Everyone has a VW air cooled flat motor laying outback. Should be a fun project, enought air for sandblasting, quiet, low cost.

Good looing package, --------cat's meow. --Guido

That is a seriously nice looking setup.

And with just a little more effort it could be self propelled.
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Hmm, I do have a 4Cylinder motor I was planing on turning into.. Something. Generator maybe.
      Maybe it should become a 2 cylinder motor+air compressor, Its not like I really need all those HP anyway!
      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Nice set up. One place I worked rented a compressor that was a converted 5.0 Ford V-8. One bank was the engine and the other was the compressor.

Wonder if a Subaru engine would also be a candidate for a similar conversion.

Comment

That one looks good.Several years back they had some rigs like that made out of VW engines at work.They will pump a lot of air.Had a lot of trouble keeping them running best I remember.Don't do well if they sit around with out being used much.

Comment

I hear OZ is lousy with the VW/compressor mods.

But try finding an engine when you want to build one!
            Len

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Stan
              Nice set up. One place I worked rented a compressor that was a converted 5.0 Ford V-8. One bank was the engine and the other was the compressor.
              I built one out of a spare chevy smallblock I had layin' around. Never did finish it though, and it is sitting in the corner of the shed out back. I think I need to get back on it.

Comment

other engines

Smith trailer mount compressors ran Wisconsin V-4's, Mopar Flathead 6's and Ford 302's that I worked on. Some early LeRoi compressors were built like a tractor with 4 small cylinders to run the pump or travel down the road and 2 larger cylinders to compress the air.

Comment

100 PSIA, that means Pounds per Square Inch Absolute, so ~85 PSI on a normal pressure gauge.

Comment

Nice looking unit,there was one built years ago that used two VW motors back to back.One pumped and the other drove.

The things worked good,but needed an air over dryer on the outlet.

I will say this,once you have enough air to sandblast in a hurry,you'll never want to go back
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

This has been a fairly common system for a long time. The first one I saw was a LeRoi trailer mounted unit built from a Ford Model A engine. I recall the VolksAir kits from about 25 years ago. I seem to recall that running the VW engine on one bank gives a 90-270 degree firing interval like the old John Deere two cylinder tractors.
                      Don Young

Comment

A friend of mine needed a Model A engine and the only thing he could find was a Smith air compressor. Surprisingly, it was in very good condition so he converted it back to a four-banger engine. I eventually wound up with the conversion kit: the heads, unloader, governor, etc.

Another friend restored a Smith compressor and uses it to demonstrate his steam engines on air.

Orrin
                        So many projects. So little time.

Comment

Do people bother altering/replacing the camshaft on these IC->compressor mods so that it acts like a 2 stroke? Or do they just ignore the wasted compression cycle?
                          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
                            Do people bother altering/replacing the camshaft on these IC->compressor mods so that it acts like a 2 stroke? Or do they just ignore the wasted compression cycle?
                            Good point. I hadn't thought of that. It would probably have enough power and produce a lot more air.

Brian
                            OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

General compressor made one that used a Willis flat head 4
                              Bond

Comment

Working...
                              X