Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever make a Vault type door?

Hi all,

looking to add a little pizzaz to the entance of shop area in the basement.

The rest of the basement is finished nicley, and thought a door that looks kind of like the entance to a vault would be pretty slick!

Anyone make anything like this before, or similar type of mechanism that would fit the mood?

some type of gear wheels and sliders etc.

Would love to see any pics.

Cheers,
    KJ

Never made one, but now you have me thinking...
    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Oh I have wanted to do that for Soooooo long! Of course I don't live in a great neighborhood either, well city actually, my city is ****, ok. I was just thinking about a big solid wood door, built with planks, 1.5" thick, three layers of solid Hickory, would be heavy as hell. Use a center knob, probably some big old machine crank on the outside, that would twist a wheel with four bars to lock in the center of all four edges. Polish it all up and leave it out in the open for all to admire. Use a regular dead bolt to lock the center wheel.
      James Kilroy

Comment

This is way out there, but there are some really impressive doors and locking mechanisms in the "Harry Potter" films, if you get into that sort of thing.

Comment

So what are you hiding from the misses .... pictures needed!

Peter
          I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

Sure I've only got mini gear from Griz but I'd LOVE to do something like this. I'd probably not be able to do it on my apartment door. But I'm sure I could find SOMEthing "suitable" :-)

I'm actually really interested in simple lock mechanisms as well.

Please yeah, any ideas or brainstorms...
            ----
            Proud machining permanoob since September 2010

Comment

Autoclaves have a big wheel with numerous tapered slider bars to latch securely........they don't have to worry about being opened from the inside though.........guy could make it up out of 10 guage hollow inner for the workings should give the effect.......fire dept, building inspector, insurance co might not like it though........
              Last edited by hardtail; 01-11-2011, 01:49 PM.
              Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Comment

Neat idea! I think the challenge is doing it affordably

Originally posted by hardtail
                Autoclaves have a big wheel with numerous tapered slider bars to latch securely........
                I've seen laboratory pressure chambers at the junkyard that have those spin locks -- you might just scrounge one intact, although they're pretty heavy.
                "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I think he could lighten up the workings but the design is kind of similar to the vault door with pins.....wouldn't require anywhere near the number of pins also......I would make the inner door smaller dimensionally than the outer so you had a tapered fit also........just depends on how much "vault effect" your seeking.........LOL

12 guage is probably about as light as you could go if your going hollow.......could skin it out of lighter guage with a wood core but that type of lock mechanism would have to be all routered out beforehand.
                  Last edited by hardtail; 01-11-2011, 12:21 PM.

Comment

And if you need info or pictures, I would suggest reading/asking at http://www.lockpicking101.com. Be sure to explain why are you asking vault photos/info, as it is deemed an advanced subject and public discussion of opening or related gets the topic locked.
                    Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Heres a link to a small door model......not really what I've encountered but it does have a vault door look.......

http://www.cnautoclave.com/index.php...p_image&pID=50

If that doesn't float your boat.......theres the drive through model.........

http://www.aschome.com/

Comment

Originally posted by madwilliamflint
                        Sure I've only got mini gear from Griz but I'd LOVE to do something like this. I'd probably not be able to do it on my apartment door. But I'm sure I could find SOMEthing "suitable" :-)

I'm actually really interested in simple lock mechanisms as well.

Please yeah, any ideas or brainstorms...
                        With respect to locks, the old explosive magazines where I worked had locks requiring 2 large keys with 1/2 inch shafts. One had threads and a shoulder arrangement to move a mechanical block out of the dead bolt and the other looked like a large skeleton key that had to be turned 3 revolutions to get the dead bolt out of the latch in the door frame. The dead bolt was 1/2 X 2 barstock that I am sure was heat treated.

Comment

At my last place, I did a fill in under that balcony and built a substantial door for it. The door was a 2 X 4 frame, which was insulated and covered. Those rods slid into holes bored into the frame. It turned out that this was over kill..........it really was a good neighbourhood. Still going strong last time I was by there.

Comment

Here's a pre-made vault door: http://www.smithsecuritysafes.com/pages/vaultdoors.html

I have one of their gun safes and am quite happy with it.

Comment

Here is one I made for a freind. It is a work in process. We are still tring to figure out the best lock mechanism. One option would be house entry keylock. Other option is pirated parts from innexpensive HF digital safe using the solonoid and gravity.
                              http://images.harborfreight.com/manu...5999/45891.pdf

The first pic is the hinge. Used drill rod plug welded every other section inside of cut peices of DOM tube. Every other one welded to door. Works great.

First is outside of door, next 2 are of inside of door. Works pretty well but is a little stiff because of warpage from welding and reinforcing the door. 4 locking pins but could be expanded to lock top and bottom as well. $ locking pins but could be expanded to lock top and bottom.

Last edited by fishfrnzy; 01-12-2011, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X