Model Engineering Workshop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model Engineering Workshop

Looking forward to the next issue of Model Engineering Workshop, it may even have some cooking articles with enticing recipes in it!

Just purchased issue #172 and I was absolutely thrilled to bits to find not one but TWO articles on woodworking in there.

Wow, what will they come up with next, macrame?

It may have escaped the editors' attention, but the newsstands are already awash with woodworking magazines, including one from his own stable.

He must be really scraping the bottom of the barrel, perhaps he should ask his readers what they want to see in the magazine and commission some articles accordingly.

What a croc!

What you have to remember is the mag relies on outside sources for articles. Its not like the early days of Model Engineer when they had large offices and a shed load of staff writing articles.
    If no one writes anything the editor has nothing to print.

he is always asking for new content.

whats the alternative, " sorry,no mag this month, nothing to put in it."

my two pence.

Roy

Comment

Originally posted by Steelmaster
      Looking forward to the next issue of Model Engineering Workshop, it may even have some cooking articles with enticing recipes in it!

Just purchased issue #172 and I was absolutely thrilled to bits to find not one but TWO articles on woodworking in there.

Wow, what will they come up with next, macrame?

It may have escaped the editors' attention, but the newsstands are already awash with woodworking magazines, including one from his own stable.

He must be really scraping the bottom of the barrel, perhaps he should ask his readers what they want to see in the magazine and commission some articles accordingly.

What a croc!
      Does this mean we can look forward to some articles from you to redress the balance.

Steve Larner

Comment

I could do the following:
        1. How to restore a wrecked low-end lathe to a slightly less wrecked status
        2. How to turn the boss on a backplate to almost the right diameter.
        3. The ins-and-outs of quick change toolposts!
        4. The Past is Prologue - How change gears work!
        5. Organize your shop with a pegboard!

Comment

Re: MEW content

MEW used to be an eight editions per year magazine and has now gone to twelve. Whilst I sympathise with the editor in his need to fill a magazine month after month with pertinent articles, without resorting to overt repetition, I can't help feeling in this case that the greed of the owners in expanding the publishing (and advertising revenue collection) base is largely to blame. Eight magazines worth of articles now stretched to twelve? Sadly, this is the way of the world.

I sympathise with the OP and as a purchaser he has his right to complain. As a commercial venture, the magazine has to listen and respond to criticism, or it will die.

Ian
          (MEW subscriber).

Comment

MEW seems to be unobtainable anyway....... so it hardly matters.

At one time it could be found on the better bookstore magazine racks, sometimes, but I have not seen it for many years...... HSM and MW are there at the local Barnes & Noble..

I have seen the same sort of decline in HSM and MW, I subscribe, but these days often the issue takes under 15 min to read, and I have no need to go back to anything in it, ever. Makes me kind of wonder why I keep up the sub, in a way.

I have a lot of HSM back issues, from #1 onwards with a few missing in the 1990s, and there was some real solid material in those earlier issues, every one has at least two goodies, if not more.

I find that often the onlyarticle which I fine "interesting with substance" in either HSM or MW is a Steve Acker article, and I am no gunsmith. But his articles are always good and always interesting. I hope that the magazine never gives in to the squealing by anti-gun folks and those who "aren't interested in weapons articles".
            Last edited by J Tiers; 01-13-2011, 09:11 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

In regard to J Tiers comments on HSM and MW, I wonder if it would be at all possible to offer occasional reprints from the older magazines. The newer readers have never had the enjoyment of making a Phil Duclos or Rudy Kouhoupt project unless they have purchased one of the bound books. There are many other authors such as Glenn Wilson and Frank McClean that come to mind as well who could be included.
              Jim H.

Comment

Nothing to me is more annoying than a construction article that spans many different issues. I'd much rather have a book, and go to the forums to follow other peoples projects. Watching how other people do their things online is better than any single article, and a lot cheaper.
                I guess what I am saying is that the entire magazine "concept" is very obsolete and is going the way of the telegraph.
                All a magazine does is sell information. This same information is free on the internet. A magazine needs to find a single great contributor that does things differently, and is well respected. This same contributor must never use the internet either. Perhaps then they could charge money for the magazine. The same said contributor would be better off making his own web page and doing it himself with paid subscriptions to the articles and cutting out the middle man.

Comment

Would the last person leaving the Shop please turn out the lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Al Messer
                    Would the last person leaving the Shop please turn out the lights.
                    lol.

People should remember its not like you're subscribing to major commercial mag with staff writers, endless freelancers looking to break in and big circulation/ad revenue. These lower circulation specialty mags are much more a community thing...... and I fully agree the content should be improved - when can they expect your submission?

Well reasoned feedback to the editor is I'm sure always welcome however just whining doesn't accomplish anything....seriously, think of how to make it better.....and you don't have to be a forty year veteran; just have an interesting project and take the time to explain and photograph it.

Ian makes a good point though.....the inevitability of a business leader proclaiming we have to grow leads to this creep and dilution. It's an error on behalf of business people...you don't have to grow. Change, yes, improve, hopefully, but there are times when growth isn't a good strategy.
                    Last edited by Mcgyver; 01-13-2011, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
                      MEW seems to be unobtainable anyway....... so it hardly matters.
                      That's odd. I pay $89 and the issues magically show up in my mailbox!

At one time it could be found on the better bookstore magazine racks, sometimes, but I have not seen it for many years...... HSM and MW are there at the local Barnes & Noble..
                      Model Engineer and Model Engineering Workshop are carried at Barnes & Noble. In fact, now that ExpressMags (the distributor) has inflated the North American subscription rates, it's about the same price to buy the magazine from Barnes & Noble with the frequent buyer card as it is to subscribe.
                      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I have to slightly disagree about multi part articals and the content in the Village press magazines. Mcgyvers multi part build for that cut knurling tool was IMO well worth wading thru all the other articals that have no interest for me. Sometimes it's a long time between gems such as his though. Overall, I'd agree about seemingly better content in the older magazines. Just maybe forums such as this have helped make it happen?

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                          Model Engineer and Model Engineering Workshop are carried at Barnes & Noble. In fact, now that ExpressMags (the distributor) has inflated the North American subscription rates, it's about the same price to buy the magazine from Barnes & Noble with the frequent buyer card as it is to subscribe.
                          These mags would stand a better chance at getting shelf space here if they were published by Microsoft Press. The same problem exists for non-MSFT technical products. There used to be entire sections of books from O'Reilly - now they're scattered here and there.

I used to find the odd HSM mag at B&N but if you're a late riser the chances wither, quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by dp
                            I used to find the odd HSM mag at B&N but if you're a late riser the chances wither, quickly.
                            Wow, really? In Central Texas, if you go to the hobby section of any Barnes and Noble, you'll find ~ 6 copies each of Model Engineer, Model Engineering Workshop, Home Shop Machinist Magazine, and Digital Machinist right next to each other.
                            Last edited by lazlo; 01-13-2011, 12:15 PM.
                            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by uncle pete
                              I have to slightly disagree about multi part articals and the content in the Village press magazines. Mcgyvers multi part build for that cut knurling tool was IMO well worth wading thru all the other articals that have no interest for me.
                              McGyver's article about the cut knurler was excellent, but I think they dragged it out too long: 5 installments!
                              Last edited by lazlo; 01-13-2011, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X