Tangential tool flycutter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tangential tool flycutter

There do not seem to have been many developments in flycutter design over the years and I thought that this unconventional approach might be of interest to others.
    It uses a tangential tool mounting and this seems to be advantageous in allowing a much greater depth of cut and a better surface finish.
    There are more details here:
    http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/tang...flycutter.html
    I would appreciate any comments especially with regard to why tangential tools seem to allow a much greater depth of cut than radial tooling.
    Mike

That's a great tool Mike; wish I'd thunk of it!

I made a tangential tool that works great in my lathe so I can see how it'd work very well for a flycutter. Clever idea on the stop screw as well.

Cheers,
    Milton

ps: Great website too!
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Mike! Very nice website......Thank you.....Dean
      www.neufellmachining.com

Comment

Nice tool, Mike, and a good detailed drawing too.

Also, fine job on the website. I particularly liked the mod on your 4X6 bandsaw for swarf control, very clever!

Comment

Nice, well thought out design there Mike. How did the tip of the cutter do with the interrupted cut on your test piece?

Stu

Comment

Man that was worth watching well done for sharing.Alistair
            Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Well, I'm not convinced that the geometry of the flycutter is anything to do with it. In my opinion the ability of this cutter to do a lot of work is down to the general heavy build of the tool.

I built a flycutter of roughly the same proportions, but the cutter bits are parallel to the axis. I used it in my lathe - having no mill at the time. The cutter would stop my (small) lathe dead if the cuts were too deep. No chatter - just very smooth work if the DOC and the feedrate were small enough for the lathe to keep going.
              Richard

Comment

Interesting fly cutter and very interesting web site.
                Paul A.

Make it fit.
                You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by Stu
                  Nice, well thought out design there Mike. How did the tip of the cutter do with the interrupted cut on your test piece?

Stu
                  The tangential tool tip showed no sign of damage in any of the tests I have made despite the interrupted nature of the cut. I think part of the reason is that the tool tip is better supported when used in the tangential mode. The tool tip shown in the photo on my website had in fact been used for many tests.
                  Mike

Comment

Mike,
                    Interesting idea. I imagine the large mass sure helps make it work so well.
                    I really enjoyed your website. I like the tap holder chuck.
                    Thanks
                    Dave

Comment

real good idea that I will copy.

Nice documentation on your web site. I'd really like to see larger versions of your .jpg's as clickables.

Rob
                      Rob

Comment

Nice variation but instead of that clunky screw I would clamp the tool with a wedge pulled in with a screw from the top. Also the angle on the plate makes a sweep likely run over accumulations of chips and mash them into the freshly cut surface.

Heavier cut? How heavy a cut could you expect using a fly cutter with a skinny shank - especially when held in an R8 spindle? I'm guessing 0.020 DOC about 0.005" feed per rev. Running 80 ft min for mild steel and sweeping a 2" radius that's about 76 RPM x 0.005" = about 3/8 IPM.

Nope. Nice tool design, well executed, but not a game changer. It is a flycutter and fly cutters are not productive. You use them as a last resort when multi-tooth cutters are not available in the right diameter or unsuitable for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Forrest Addy

Nope. Nice tool design, well executed, but not a game changer. It is a flycutter and fly cutters are not productive. You use them as a last resort when multi-tooth cutters are not available in the right diameter or unsuitable for some reason.
                          A fly cutter seems to be a better tool for me with my 8520 clausing. a multi-tooth cutter might be to heavy for my light mill.

Rob
                          Rob

Comment

Originally posted by rmuell01
                            A fly cutter seems to be a better tool for me with my 8520 clausing. a multi-tooth cutter might be to heavy for my light mill.

Rob
                            Which is where "...unsuitable for some reason" is intended to apply.

Comment

To each his own, I guess - I LOVE a fly cutter and the almost mirror finish I can get.
                              If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Working...
                              X