Criterion Boring Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Criterion Boring Head

My Criterion boring head that came with some other tooling has an auto feed not found on all such tools. Not being familiar with these tools I just assumed they were all that way. Some discussion proved otherwise. The way this works is as follows: The hole size is setup and the gibs locked in the normal manner for boring operations. For a facing cut the depth is set normally then as the tool rotates and the silver ring is held to feed the tool outward.

This is a better view showing the counter bore produced and the surface finish.

To retract the tool for another pass one just reverses the direction on the mill and continues holding the silver ring.
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

While I can't say for sure that the user instructions for that boring and facing head are on Criterions site, You might want to check it out. I'd bet Criterion would email you a instruction manual too. Over and above that, Criterion has some very good info on their site.

Pete

Comment

This is it: http://www.criterionmachineworks.com...ringfacing.htm
      As I understand it, one of the benefits of the mechanism Criterion uses is that the feed is fluid and continuous. Many other designs use a gearing system that is more of a ratchet---it advances a specific amount every __ angle of turn. In any case, a very nice head that I know I could find many uses for. I've never been able to justify the cost, however, to add it to my shop. Nice score!

Comment

Boring and Facing Head

For manual machines a boring and facing head is a valuable tool. Congrats!

Comment

Groves

Another nice thing you can do with one of these is cut a grove in a hole for a snap ring, o ring etc.
          Visit my site for machinist videos free charts & more

Machinist Classifieds Free Listing

Comment

You can also bore a regular old hole in about half the time when you don't have to stop and adjust out for each pass.

Comment

smalltime,
              ??? Could you explain that please.

Pete

Comment

Is there a way to directly drill a hole using a boring head? In other words, skip the step of drilling a starting hole. With my current insert boring bars, it isn't possible, because the insert holder will hit the work.

Comment

Taydin,
                  I dunno, Possibly zero out the boreing head so the tooling hole is pretty well concentric and then lock in a center cutting end mill. IMO, Boreing heads along with boring and faceing heads are designed for accurate single point boring and or faceing. That's a pretty light duty operation. Over the long term I'd think it wouldn't be great for a precision tool.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by uncle pete
                    smalltime,
                    ??? Could you explain that please.

Pete
                    I will answer for him.
                    Normally you have to unlock the gib screws and use an allen wrench to advance the cutter then relock the gibs and make a reaming cut.

With this tool you don't have to mess with the gibs just rotate the ring to advance the cutter.
                    Byron Boucher
                    Burnet, TX

Comment

Boucher,
                      Thanks, That's certainly a new one for me. I have a Narex B&F head and that isn't mentioned. I'll have to give it a try.

Pete

Comment

To lock a Criterion you use the center gib screw. The others should be set to allow smooth operation.
                        For precision boring you must still set with an indicator and lock .
                        Last edited by tdmidget; 02-08-2011, 09:14 PM.

Comment

I have a Lagun B&F head. Love it...

Comment

Working...
                          X