X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • loose nut
    • Sep 2006

Tube expanding tools

Some time ago, read many years ago, I read an article (live steam mag maybe???) on making a tube expanding tool that could be used to "roll" tubes into the tubesheets of a steam traction/train boiler. Does any one know of a set of plans or other info on making one of these tools.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada
  • Carld
    • Aug 2006

They are similar to the tool to expand injector sleeves into a head. You could probably use some rollers out of a taper bearing and a housing with a tapered shaft to turn to expand the tube. The taper would have to be enough to make the outside of the roller parallel to the sleeve. I used them years ago but I don't know of any drawings for them.
    It's only ink and paper

Comment

• lbhsbz
      • Jan 2010

What about using a ball broach? I'm not real familiar with what you're trying to do, but I assume you want to slide a tube through a hole, then expand the tube so that it's tight in the hole.

With valve guide liners, they use a ball broach to lock them into the old guide....just a carbide or HSS ball bearing, driven through the tube with a punch on an air hammer. Use plenty of lube.

Comment

• squirrel
        • Mar 2009

If you can find it, the TV show "How its Made" has an episode on making a musical horn from brass and it shows the ball mandrel process, how to make the cone, fill it with ice before bending, polishing etc.

Comment

• lbhsbz
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by squirrel
          If you can find it, the TV show "How its Made" has an episode on making a musical horn from brass and it shows the ball mandrel process, how to make the cone, fill it with ice before bending, polishing etc.
          That was a neat episode

Comment

• platypus2020
            • May 2007

I have one to roll 2-1/2" tubes in industrial boilers, its exactly the way Carld explained it. We use in conjunction with a 3/4" power drive to set the tubes in the 1" tube sheet of the boiler, some of the boiler have over 300 tubes. The tubes are 2-1/2" x .105" (wall thickness), watching them made is very interesting. They start out a a roll of steel 7-7/8" wide, and in about 100 yards, through a series of rollers into a 2-1/2" tube, electron beam welded inside and out, then to the desired length.

jack
            jack

Comment

• PTSideshow
              • Nov 2005

It was in Live Steam and you can contact out hosts and get the back issue,issues that had the information in it.
              Glen
              Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
              I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
              All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

• Duffy
                • Jul 2007

Or you could go on the Live Steam forum and ask the members. Bill Shields will almost certainly know.
                Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

Go to your local boiler supply company they have them and use them to rebuild boilers. They can order you one or show you how they are made.

Call Dave Bockman at Allied Boiler Supply Co. in Murfreesboro, TN. (800) 858-0484

Comment

• loose nut
                    • Sep 2006

I should have mentioned that I have access to "real" tube expander's, I have worked on many exchanger retubing jobs but they won't fit into most of the smoke box (to close to the sides of the smoke box) tubes and will not fit into the firebox at all, hence the need for a simple homemade rig for 1" OD and either 12 or 13 gauge tubes

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

• wierdscience
                      • Jan 2003

You need one of these

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• Mark Hockett
                        • Apr 2001

I think the tube roller article you are referring to is the Bailie Tube Roller in the November/ December 2003 issue of Live Steam. It was designed by John Bailie. I have never used the tool but I know John and he is a great machinist and model engineer, so I would think his design would work well.
                        Mark Hockett

Comment

• Guido
                          • Apr 2004

These people have 'em fer sale, doubt they would allow you a drawing.

--G

Comment

• loose nut
                            • Sep 2006

I have something similar but they won't fit.

Comment

Working...
                            X