My leather machines and stuff I make!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My leather machines and stuff I make!

Hey guys...here's some of my new toys etc...
    My Mitsibishi upholstery machine with the new servo motor I just installed

The heavy hitter...this is my new stitcher...it'll sew almost an inch thick...weighs almost 400 lbs total

My machine I bought last year...only a bottom feeder and it's also waiting for a new servo motor to slow it down

My beautiful old American brand splitter
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Nice pictures Russ, that splitter is that for thinning leather - is it the same as 'skiving' as i always thought splitting sheets was called nad missing work!!
    Nice machines bye the way!

Peter
    I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

Russ, would you be interested in making a custom knife sheath?

I'm having fun making the blades, but I don't have the time or inclination to learn leatherwork.
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Heavy batwing chaps I just made...

An old timey style headstall

Some Cowboy cuffs

A nice pair of Ladies chink chaps

Hope you all get a kick out of my work!
        Russ

Comment

Originally posted by ptjw7uk
          Nice pictures Russ, that splitter is that for thinning leather - is it the same as 'skiving' as i always thought splitting sheets was called nad missing work!!
          Nice machines bye the way!

Peter
          Peter...yes...it is for splitting leather so it's all the same thickness. Skiving is usually tapering the ends for a smooth lap joint.
          I used this machine to split all the leather to uniform thickness for the headstall you see. It is made from one layer of saddle skirting with a layer of oiley latigo sewn to the inside to stop the horses sweat from rotting the leather

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
            Russ, would you be interested in making a custom knife sheath?

I'm having fun making the blades, but I don't have the time or inclination to learn leatherwork.
            Yes...I can do them no problem...but it would be easier for you to get them made state side maybe???

Comment

Russ,
              Thanks for sharing the pictures.
              Very impressive work.
              I am glad you are back posting.
              Dave

Comment

nice stuff Russ!

Comment

nice work and nice seeing Torker around here again.

Lets see the pictures of the black leather outfits you make for the ladies to wear in private

Comment

Originally posted by torker
                    Yes...I can do them no problem...but it would be easier for you to get them made state side maybe???
                    I'd rather contribute to the Round Column Mill Drill fund

Great work Russ! Are you welding at all??
                    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Yes Robert...I just started a new welding job last week. Been doing finish carpentry for awhile...it pays better than most welding jobs here. New job pays ok...and seems a good place to work....they even have two lathes!!! Yay!

Comment

Hey Torker, Not wanting to get into your business or anything but considering the captive and friendly group here I think you could do a brisk business in QUALITY shop aprons. Those heavy chaps are sharp, they would be great chasing hogs on horseback. I'd gladly shell out some real bucks for a high quality leather shop apron, and I am pretty sure I am not alone.
                        James Kilroy

Comment

WOW! Russ, sounds like you're busier than a one-armed paper hanger. You've got more irons in the fire than most people have that's for sure.
                          Good to see you've got lots of feathers in your cap to keep you covered.

Nice seeing you post again.
                          By the way...damn fine leather work!
                          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Very nice work Russ, thanks for posting, now hang out here again.

Dang!! Some guys get all the luck measuring up young ladies to fit their chaps,,,i,m presuming this would be a lengthy procedure, with a number of call backs for fitting and of course adjustments?

Comment

Torker,

Thanks for sharing the pics. and such. Nice work.

I am interested in the servo motor upgrade.

I have a Consew 118? that runs 3,600 stitches per minute at full speed. Kind of scary till I got used to it.

The lady I bought it from had bought it to sew teddy bears. When I asked her why she was selling it, she told me it "scares the crap out of me".

Care to shart any info. on the servo conversion?

Brian
                              OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Working...
                              X