Bad News a Harbor Freight just opened by me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad News a Harbor Freight just opened by me

I kind of have a love hate relationship with these stores. Some stuff is junk and some of it is worth while. I have no illusions about the quality of the stuff they sell. But, they just opened one about 1 mile from my house, so I guess I will be buying more from them in the future. I used to have three to chose from and they were all about 25 miles through heavy traffic.

Now, if I could just find the time to finish one of the projects I started

Don't worry

You'll find there will be plenty of stuff there for you not to buy.

Comment

It should also be very convenient for returning all that junk as well !

JL.....................

Comment

I was excited when the Horror Fright open a few miles from me as well.
        Then I was awakened by their questionable quality.
        But they are good for sandpaper, paintbrushes, duct tape, and other disposables.

Comment

I have one about 7 miles from me. It had opened about a year and a half sgo, but I put off going in there because I had read enough about it to know what I might expect.

So one day about 3-4 months ago, I decided, what the hell, lets see it. I figured they must have at least a pack of chip brushes I could use. I walked out empty-handed. Seems even their stuff I expected to be junk...was too junky for me.

Comment

Originally posted by KiddZimaHater
            ...But they are good for sandpaper, paintbrushes, duct tape, and other disposables...
            Yep - plus acid brushes, electrical tape, forged sockets that can be welded to steel scraps (to make special-purpose wrenches), diamond hones and the like. Picked up an infra-red thermometer for $20 that has been incredibly useful.

My wife tired of me gashing my digits trying to do fine work on the table saw and found this thing at the local HF outlet. Not impressive, as it came out the door, but she knew it could be transformed and it was. (After replacing the switch, truing, squaring and facing the critical parts, I made a fence and miter gage - the little 7 x 4 saw is now very useful for fine work.)

The best buy may have been a set of brazed-carbide three inch diameter slotting cutters (for routers ?) with ball-bearing guided arbor. Threw away the arbor and made a new one; I use these frequently for deep slotting on the vertical mill ... five cutters from 1/16 to 1/4 wide for peanuts, and they can be stacked, with care.

It's a sad thing, the perpetuation of these imported products, but after years of raging about the decline of American industry I don't have the energy left to continue my multi-page rants.

Randy C

Comment

Closest one to me is about 120 miles, been there once and got a reciprocating saw, I knew I was going to use it pretty hard so I bought the extended warranty. I have used it hard and still going 8 yrs. later.
              James

Comment

I, for one, love Harbor Freight.

Great for disposables, light-use, and one-time tools.

The tools that turn out not to be one-time are great advertising for Crafstman.

Comment

One opened up a couple of miles from me and I figured I'd be there all the time and really, I'm not. I get nitrile gloves and chip brushes and the like, their dead blow hammers are also decent, but most of their stuff just isn't worth it and I leave feeling dirty . That said, I have gotten a few good tools there, namely a 4x6 bandsaw, which can be a crap shoot, but I got lucky, and a 20 gallon parts washer. If you're looking at buying one of their tools, do yourself a favor and go to their website first. Look up the tool you're interested in and read the reviews. It could save you a lot of frustration.
                  Stuart de Haro

Comment

I sure appreciated their $59 wet cutting tile saw.
                    Far and away cheaper than renting one, and permitted me to work more leisurely.
                    Certainly not the tool I'd buy if I were doing it commercially, but for my purpose it worked every bit as well as the professional grade.

Comment

I went into a Harbor Freight for the first this past year when visiting relatives. All I can say is I saw nothing but Chinese junk.

I couldn't stay in there long because of the horrific smell from all the toxic off gassing vinyl in everything. Gave me a sever head ache in about 20 minutes.

I will never set foot in one of those stores again.

Not to mention that all their cheap Chinese junk undermines American companies and their ability to sell good products and be able to compete when people just buy cheap throw away junk.

Greebe
                      Last edited by Greebe; 02-22-2011, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Ahh, the smell of cosmolene and moth balls! There is one about 2 miles from my house also.
                        Delta DP-220, Benchmaster Vertical Mill, Craftsman 101.21200 (6x18) Lathe, Unimat, Oliver SP-1 Die Filer, Wards Powercraft Bandsaw, Buffalo Cut Off Saw, Craftman 10" Contractors Table Saw

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                          I went into a Harbor Freight for the first this past year when visiting relatives. All I can say is I saw nothing but Chinese junk.

I couldn't stay in there long because of the horrific smell from all the toxic off gassing vinyl in everything. Gave me a sever head ache in about 20 minutes.

I will never set foot in one of those stores again.

Not to mention that all their cheap Chinese junk undermines American companies and their ability to sell good products and be able to compete when people just buy cheap throw away junk.

Greebe
                          Your comment stirred a distant memory that HF is an American company, am I wrong?
                          James

Comment

Originally posted by J. Randall
                            Your comment stirred a distant memory that HF is an American company, am I wrong?
                            James
                            They may be an American company, but I dare you to find a American made product in one of their stores.

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                              They may be an American company, but I dare you to find a American made product in one of their stores.
                              I'm sure there's at least one: The store safe.

Comment

Working...
                              X