The Right To Know !!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Right To Know !!!!!!!

This is so funny I thought I would share it with everyone here.
    My girlfriend comes home one day last week from work, she's in a bad mood, which is unusual for her. So I asked what the problem was. She said well we had that stupid right to know meeting at work today, it was really a drag. So I asked, OK, what this right to know meeting all about, altough I had an idea. She said well, this guy comes into the office and shows us this movie about someone getting thier fingers cut of in some kind of big metal cutting machine. So I said, you work in an office, where are there machines like that in an office...... she said there is'nt, but we have to watch it anyway. I said OK well what else did he say, well he told us that we should avoid sniffing the white out, OK enough........... (I can just picture a bunch of woman sitting around sniffing the bottle of white out.)
    He also said whe should wear gloves when we change the toner cartridge in the copier or the ink cartridges in the printer and to avoid getting any of the chemicals on our hands, and we should wash our hands after we do these things. Also we should not run the copier with any of the gaurds or covers removed because there are dangerous moving parts inside.
    I said............ OK enough I get the picture.
    Now........... here is my take on this....... can you imagine this guy comming into my shop or any of us HSM'ers and looking for hazardous things. He wouldn't know where to begin.
    There is some validity to all this as just stop and think of all the things us guys handel and breath in out home shops !!!!!
    The metals we grind, cobalt and carbide tooling.
    Dressing grinding wheels and sanding things.
    Fumes from welding, brazing, and soldering fluxes.
    Spray paints, mist from coolants and cutting fluids, not to mention handeling all this stuff.
    I'm sure you guys can add to the list.
    It really does make you think.

JL.................

Ha! Yeah. Just last night I was turning Aluminum with WD-40 which makes a nice stinky, smelly smoke/fume/mist that I was breathing for a few hours.
    I coughed and had chest pains for a while until the Bourbon killed it.

Comment

Joe, i agree with your,e point of hazardous things,,but most things in moderation i believe we can overcome, depending of course on the severity of the noxious substance.

Inspectors,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"Bad NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I love spray painting, then blowing my nose and getting all the techno color goobiers. Really should start wearing that mask...
        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

The old saying, "What don't kill us, makes us stronger" comes to mind. Your girlfriend may be shortening her life expectancy if she follows all of this guys advice.
          Cheers,
          Gary

Comment

I thought we had the right to kill our self`s over a long period of time. By using all the things we use in our shops.
            Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
            http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
            http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Those "right to know" meetings are held because the insurance companies want to jerk the rug out from under you if you do something stupid at work, and OHSA wants to be able to fine the company for "allowing" you do do something stupid at work. No winners in that game other than the bureaucraps building their empires!

David
              David Kaiser
              “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
              ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

I think the company is trying to innoculate iteself against possible problems. In the simplest case, maybe someone does learn something useful for safety. Big maybe. However, if someone does have an accident it gives the company the opportunity to show they tried to educate the workforce about safe practices and if an accident happens it was just an accident, not gross negligence.
                "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Life without all those anoying letters

If you think we'd be better off without OSHA, EPA, FDA and all those other Government money pits then take a good look at China. Thats how they work.

In this case: the law doesn't say the safety lecture has to be appropriate for every employee. It just says that every employee has to hear one so management won't waste a penny developing a program for office workers who don't get hurt much anyway. I feel sorry for poor guy giving the lecture. He had to know how totally dumb it sounded but he had to stand there and do anyway.
                  Joe

Comment

OSHA saves more lives then the NSA.
                    Think about it.
                    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I remember back after they changed the laws so that management could be held responsible for certain accidents happening to workers, we got inundated with Safety courses...courses on how to run equipment and courses on safe work practices. Before it was just "Here, do this job!" and the only instruction given to a lot of people who had never seen the equipment or had a clue about how to do the job safely was "Work safe." Once management was faced with the prospect of being held personally responsible for lack of proper training and lack of suitable safety equipment, every time we turned around we were having a Course on something or other. The whole point of it all was so that management could drag some attendance list out years after an incident and point at it and say "See here? We trained him how to do that job safely, it was his fault that there was an acident." thus covering their asses and insulating themselves from any responsibility. Personally, a lot of it was bogus...like sending me out of town for 3 days to a Bucket Truck operating course after I was running one daily for a decade and the units they taught about were so different from the one I ran, that it was for all intents and purposes, useless. I could have wrote and passed the little exam we had on the course at home without ever being on the course. Many courses were also "unfailable" and bore no similarities to the situations we might find ourselves in, such as the Confined Space practical test. Thanks to that, I am to this day claustrophobic and suffer from myctophobia (I suffered a sever panic attack during the test). Last refresher course I went to on that, I never even tried the practical, yet it was recorded I had "passed" the test. There were a lot of courses that couldn't be failed.
                      Now, do I think it was better before or after the law changed? After, easily. Many of the courses were of significant value and much was learned from them, but to tell the truth, I believe that was just coincidence, not planning.

Comment

These sort of safety lectures, films, etc are needed.

We have a society unwilling to take responsibility for their own welfare and more than willing to sue someone for their irresponsibility.

Can you imagine anyone STUPID enough to smoke tobacco products? Yet there still are smokers who want to sue the tobacco companies when they become ill because of the use of their products.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
                          OSHA saves more lives then the NSA.
                          Think about it.

How do you know? If I were you I wouldn't bet on it. Think about it.

Ed P

Comment

Originally posted by DR

We have a society unwilling to take responsibility for their own welfare and more than willing to sue someone for their irresponsibility.
                            Lots are, definitely.

But the causality runs the other way. People abdicate personal responsibility in response to being coddled and spoon fed.
                            ----
                            Proud machining permanoob since September 2010

Comment

Originally posted by DR

People sue rather than assume responsibility because there is more money in suing. As long as it is easy to sue and get money that is what they will continue to do. It is unlikely that showing safety films will change that.

Ed P

Comment

Working...
                              X