OT- PDF applications to be filled out and emailed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT- PDF applications to be filled out and emailed

Looking for work, many jobs have you print out a PDF and fill in the data. Then they want you to fax it or email it back.
    I want to do something much better than simply scanning it back in and basically generating a .jpg image as a document.
    I want to be able to send them back the PDF, filled out. I do not own Acrobat so I cannot modify the pdf's.
    This is obviously a common thing to do, I just want to do it the most professional way I can, and have everything look great.
    I don't have a land line, so I cannot hook up my 3 in 1 scanner fax. I do not own a magic jack and do not want to spend money on one. I do not like the free fax services because they are laiden with advertisements.
    I am looking for an open source free package that is perfect for doing this sort of thing.

Two options come to mind, first is PDF Xchange viewer. It's a pretty full featured pdf editor that will allow you to add text/images/whatever to the pdfs and keep them in their native format.

Second idea would be CutePDF... which is a utility that installs like a printer driver allows you to 'print' a pdf through the print command in any program.

Both are free downloads

Comment

It depends on how the PDF was created. If you get a PDF form from, say, the IRS, you will notice that you can fill it out online using the Acrobat Viewer, which is free. However, not everybody creates their PDFs properly to support this.

If you have any questions about online job applications related stuff, feel free to PM me. Machining is my hobby but HR software (specifically recruiting) is my day job.

Comment

Be careful. Going above and beyond may not be an advantage. Your application may be rejected.

Reason: "Applicant unable to follow instructions."
        Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
        ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

I hate to agree with Weston but he is correct.

More and more, if you do something different and it does not conform, you are a thinker. Thinkers create work for someone by finding a cost saving idea that could save the company millions but force one other looser employed by the company do actually do his or her job.

Normally that looser is the CEO so, it is best to just fit in at first. Then unleash the brainstorm.

rock~

ps - good luck, its a jungle out there.
          Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

I have reformulated my original question to make more sense; I need an alternative to a fax machine.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211
              I have reformulated my original question to make more sense; I need an alternative to a fax machine.
              Its called visit the prospective employer.

Comment

Copy shops used to offer fax service for a buck a page. No idea if that is still available, and it could get expensive if you have a lot to send, but there it is.

Good luck with the job hunt... I've been going through that myself.

-Pete
                I just like to make stuff.

Comment

There is a roundabout way to do it for free, if your printer can scan.

print it, fill it out, scan it in.

Install PDF995, or one of the other PDF creators that are available. PDF995 is free, if you can stand hitting a "keep using free version" button.... if you buy it it is fairly cheap, but I haven't got around to that myself.

So you "print" the scanned jpg to PDF995 (or program of choice), and out comes a PDF of the page.

You can add a "PDF editor", also free under same restrictions, which allows you to connect several pages together as one final PDF.

obviously you can email the PDF back.

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by rockrat
                    I hate to agree with Weston but he is correct..

Being correct happens to me occasionally. Don't know what I did to cause you to find discomfort in agreeing with me, but I take no offense. Differences in opinion are what horse races are made of.

Comment

Originally posted by Weston Bye

Being correct happens to me occasionally. Don't know what I did to cause you to find discomfort in agreeing with me, but I take no offense. Differences in opinion are what horse races are made of.
                      Let me explain. Its not that I dislike agreeing with you or against you for that matter. Heck, you seem to be an alright fellow. I do however dislike agreeing with the logic which seems to be true.

You see, I hate to agree with the thought that being creative and not following the heard gets a guy nowhere in the job market. Or worse yet, tossed out. I had always thought being creative would get me better jobs. Turns out that most employers hire human resource employees that cant or dont want to think, they just want to fill the position and move on to something easy, like what the employees should be offered for break time snacks.

"Follow the rules or your resume wont ever get looked at." What a way to run a railroad. That HR thought was the single handed reason that I had trouble finding machinist to hire 10 years back.

So, no worries Weston, its all good.

rock~
                      Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Rock,
                        We are in complete agreement. I couldn't have said it better. Sad time when I don't even like my own advice.

Comment

If email is an option, check your 3 in one or scanner's options. Most these days include an option to scan directly to PDF format. My HP 3 in one does that, and I believe Canon scanners have done this for quite a few years.

Comment

Working...
                          X