El cheapo block for bench work...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• El cheapo block for bench work...

A friend of mine presented me with a hockey puck recently. After a sufficient amount of time being amused by my blank stare he explained he used one in his shop for shaping metal and as a backer for pounding on things he didn't want to mar. I thought it was a neat idea that some of you guys here might benefit from.

Hockey pucks, yeah. I've used them as wheels, feet, and pinch rollers- just to name a few apps off the top. They are hard enough to be easy to grind, though that is one messy process.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Here is the one I use for filing and such....re-purposed desk lamp clamp and some scrap for mounting, just pop it on the edge of the bench and away I go...for the effort that went into it, it has the highest payoff

John

Comment

Hmm. I've got a fruitcake that was once a gift. I wonder ...
        "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Fruitcake! Perfect! I think they'd work pretty good as hockey pucks too.

Here's my "beat on it if you have to" bench block, a Starrett No.119. Found on Craigslist and bought for $10. Granted, it's not a free hockey puck but it does have the big hex around the bottom to make it easy to hold in a vise. Their smaller (and far-more popular) No.129 doesn't have that.

Comment

Originally posted by ZINOM
            Here is the one I use for filing and such....re-purposed desk lamp clamp and some scrap for mounting,...
            Excellent! Are the mounting screws self tapping, like sheet metal screws?

Comment

I used the pucks for feet on my 4 cylinder Onan generator!
              www.neufellmachining.com

Comment

They have really shot up in price, I blame the people that are using them for hockey for causing a shortage.
                The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

The common hockey puck has been used for years as replacement rubber spacers ? in cab mounts on pickup trucks.
                  (And probably 20 other uses also.)

Comment

what is a hockey puck? i live in south texas,darn near in mexico. would a day old tortilla work?

Comment

My Logan sits on hokey pucks

Comment

x39, I think they are like sheet metal screws...not self-tapping though...I might'a just gave 'em a little helping hole.

I used to just sit a puck on the bench and file like that....it was aggravating having it move....this dealy is simple to secure and remove so it's out of the way.

John

Comment

Working...
                        X