Taping into Brain Trust Here: Folding Rule Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taping into Brain Trust Here: Folding Rule Source

I've been doing some carpentry and shelf building here - for my shop and office of course so not really OT. For this kind of work I like the folding rules. I have a six foot, wood folding rule and like it, but it is showing it's age which is at least 25 years. And a bit on the short side.

What I want is a metal (yes I have seen them) or ideally a fiberglass one that is somewhat longer and has both English and metric scales. Ideally a three meter would be very nice. But I have never even heard of one that long. Second choice would be eight foot. They do exist, but finding one with metric scale in addition to inches is difficult. Last choice would be two meter with additional English scale. In any case, the English scale should also have the 16" stud center marks as these are very useful when installing shelves on existing walls.

So, do any of you know of a source (in the US?) for such a rule?
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

McMaster-Carr has the In/mm ones in wood,regular in fiberglass.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#folding-rules/=b6tyid

I too remember seeing the metal ones,in Aluminum I think,but I don't remember where.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

If you find a source for longer than 6 feet please post it as there only seems to be one company making them in the US. whether it is wood, plastic or fiberglass.
      Horrible fright had a 6 footer like your looking for. US general has a 3 footer and Rigid had fiberglass type branded for them. You can't even find longer ones at the brickie's cement tool places any more. Guy at the local store said I was to old and would need a time machine to find one over 6 foot.
      He was being a smart A$$, but he said union work rules only allow a 6 foot folder!
      I spent 3 days last summer looking for a 12 footer as none of the so called tape measures that will stay out and up for 15 feet will do so on any angle other than straight up or in the slightest breeze. Needed to measure from peak to over hang 22 feet up by myself.
      Lufkin seems to be in every store, white, yellow wood and plastic. Price are all over the place for the same rule too.
      Good luck on your hunt, do a google for folding rule and you will see what I mean.
      Glen
      Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
      I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
      All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Try http://www.wihatools.com/600seri/616serie.htm

I used one for years til is mysteriously disappeared. A little bulky, but almost bullet-proof

Stu

Comment

Lufkin does or did make an 8' wooden rule with the 6" brass extension.

Comment

Lufkin made a 6 foot steel rule ( # 1176), and a German company made a 24 inch steel rule. Here is a view of the ones I have which I inheirited from my father-in-law who was a die maker in a steel forging plant
            Rich

Comment

Yea,

I have been to McMaser (first place I looked).

Did the Google.

Found many 2 meter ones, some with inches.

And I also have a two foot folding one, also from my grandfather. It is wood with really nice brass hinges and has a lot of years of use on it. I have been wondering how to clean it up as it is a really nice one. Also how to take a warp out of it. I will try to post a photo later.

The Wiha site that Stew gave is interesting and has a two meter fiberglass one for the best price I have seen for that type. I will probably get one of those as I doubt I will be able to find the one I really want. At least it is a bit longer than 6'.

Thanks guys.
              Paul A.
              SE Texas

Make it fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore
                Found many 2 meter ones, some with inches.
                Another good make is Stabila (German). Their 1607 has dual imperial/metric graduations. It is not, however, metal or fibreglass, nor is it 3m.

Only reference I found to a 3m one is this (Stanley 3m folding rule).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-METER-FOLDIN...721b02fff7d436

Comment

Wow, they do make a 3 meter one. Looks like it may only be sold in Europe. But I really need the inch scales too or I would get one.

But thanks for the post.

Paul A.

Originally posted by djc
                  Another good make is Stabila (German). Their 1607 has dual imperial/metric graduations. It is not, however, metal or fibreglass, nor is it 3m.

Only reference I found to a 3m one is this (Stanley 3m folding rule).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-METER-FOLDIN...721b02fff7d436
                  Paul A.
                  SE Texas

Make it fit.

Comment

Working...
                  X