Is my boring head backwards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my boring head backwards?

Hi, Im wondering if my phase II 3" boring head scale is backwards.

Its designed with the further out hole on the opposite side of the scale. So I assume you generaly point the bit outwards towards the outside hole.
    The thing is, To make holes 'bigger' the scale numbers go down! Im rotating the adjusting knob clockwise, And the adjusting screw is threading in.. I took it apart and theres no way to flip it around... So is the scale itself printed backwards from what it should be?

Making a hole bigger via reducing the scale reading seems very counterintuitive, Even if its what I do on my lathe with boring bars.

So what way to boring heads usally work? Or is it a mixup of both ways?
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Sorry for a stupid question, but are you sure you use a correct hole for your boring bar?

Comment

Pretty simple IMO righ -y tight-y lefty lous-y .

Comment

I have a BridgePort boring head and it has a hole in the center and a hole opposite the adjusting screw with the dial. You can put the boring bar cutting edge facing forward or to the back, away from the dial. You just have to remember which way to turn the dial. Depending on which way the cutter is facing you either advance the numbers or reduce the numbers to increase the bore size.

The position of the holes makes it so you can cover a wide range of bore sizes and change holes to go to a larger bore as you start from a small hole to the biggest hole it will make. When you get to the largest size with the bar sticking out the bottom then you can start using a hole in the front or rear of the boring head. Bigger is better they say.

Sometimes it's confusing but you just have to be smarter than the boring head and stay awake.
        Last edited by Carld; 02-26-2011, 08:19 PM.
        It's only ink and paper

Comment

My APT head pushes the cutting tool carrier away from the dial as the numbers increase. And the bore gets larger.
          Jim

Comment

My boring head has two sets of numbers so I can either count up for size or count down to a finished diameter. But then I put them there myself.
            "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by TGTool
              My boring head has two sets of numbers so I can either count up for size or count down to a finished diameter. But then I put them there myself.
              Mmmm, I would sure love to put a bigger custom dial on this thing..
              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Boring Head

I have 4 boring heads. All of them and all the ones I have used over the years have been the same. With the cutting edge pointing away from the dial, they turn clockwise and count up to make the hole bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy
                  All of them and all the ones I have used over the years have been the same. With the cutting edge pointing away from the dial, they turn clockwise and count up to make the hole bigger.
                  Ditto. Same for me.

Comment

You say the adjusting screw "is threading in". The screw does not move, the slide does. If it appears to be "threading in" the the slide is retracting. This would match your graduation on the screw. If you have a left hand screw, on the other hand (couldn't pass that up) the it will appear to be "threading out" when turned clockwise. But it really does not matter because to set a boring head properly you should put an indicator against it and set by that.

Comment

The no name bar I have has 3 vertical holes and one horizontal hole so ya can crank the dial up or down to make the hole bigger depending on mood and cutting tool placement.

Steve

Comment

The ones from CDCO are backwards too. I complained.
                        It's distracting; the plan is to remove the numbers, and *maybe* stamp some proper ones.

Comment

I suppose since there are marks on the dial or the face where the dial turns you could put marks going in the opposite direction so your advancing in the numbers which ever direction your turning the dial.

I don't see a problem because you have the same issue with a lathe dial or a mill dial. If your going in one direction the numbers increase but if you have to turn the dial in the opposite direction and the numbers descend you have to be awake and aware of what your doing.

For instance, if your turning the outside of a shaft you will be advancing on the crossfeed dial. If your boring in a hole you have to back the tool away from center and the dial numbers are descending so you have to think about what your doing.

To be a machinist you have to be smarter than the machine. If you can't do that then take up another hobby or line of work, it's just that simple.

Take up wood work, you can use a tape measure and you don't have dials on a wood lathe to deal with.
                          It's only ink and paper

Comment

For putting the metal back on? A boring head usually bores.

Comment

BM,

It shouldn't matter what direction the bar moves. Ten thousanths on the dial is the same thing in either direction.

Just turn the dial in the direction that you need and count the graduations.

Brian

edit: Carld pretty much covered it in a previous post too.
                              Last edited by bborr01; 02-27-2011, 10:52 AM.
                              OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Working...
                              X