Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick & dirty follow-rest.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Quick & dirty follow-rest.

    I needed 2 ft of 5/16" aluminum rod for a paying job and all I could find on a weekend was 3/8".

    I think it was Evan a while back that suggested this quickie solution for a similar problem and it worked well again. A piece of scrap angle iron and UHMW bolted to the carriage with a a hole drilled & reamed via the lathe chuck worked great! .375" down to .314" in one shot. I switched from carbide to sharp HSS after the pic because the carbide refused to cut down that far. Flex in the shaft I guess. After the cut, I filed & polished by hand for the final finish.

    Milton

    "Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

    "The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

  • #2
    I would have tried putting the follow on the "following" side of the cut.
    But what do I know, I've never done it. :-)
    ...lew...

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi,

      Putting the follow on the other side gets to be too far from the work area to be useful for holding the work steady. And it will leave marks on the finished side. Something you don't generally want.

      A good "in a pinch" solution Dickybird!

      dalee
      If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by dalee100
        Putting the follow on the other side gets to be too far from the work area to be useful for holding the work steady. And it will leave marks on the finished side. Something you don't generally want.
        dalee
        So it isn't really a follow rest it is a leader rest, amateurs

        Fast and effective when used as directed
        Nice job, I'll have to try to remember that one.

        Steve

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by doctor demo
          ....amateurs
          Dangit! A feller can't get away with nuthin' around here.
          Milton

          "Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

          "The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

          Comment


          • #6
            I wouldn't say "quick an dirty," but "quick and EASY."

            That one's going into my idea book right now. . .
            Cheers,

            Frank Ford
            HomeShopTech

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD
              I think it was Evan

              Where does he post now?..

              Rob

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Frank Ford
                That one's going into my idea book right now. . .
                Holy cow, I'm going into Frank Ford's idea book!!!

                Surely I get some kinda lapel pin or merit badge or something!
                Milton

                "Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

                "The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by MrSleepy
                  Where does he post now?..

                  Rob
                  Rob there was a post here a while back with a link to an astronomy board that Evan posts on. I miss him around here too.
                  Milton

                  "Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

                  "The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by dalee100
                    Hi,

                    Putting the follow on the other side gets to be too far from the work area to be useful for holding the work steady. And it will leave marks on the finished side. Something you don't generally want.

                    dalee
                    I don't follow that. I could put it just as close to the tool on the "following" side as the leading side and if the HDPE material scars a peice of aluminium I wonder about the aluminium. :-)
                    ...lew...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Looks good to me,and unlike the factory rests it can be put wherever it's needed.I like it!
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Actually, this kind of rest exists in a slightly different format: with intechangeable bushings.

                        This one (tool holder/follow rest combo) has a screw in the back that moves the tool bit.

                        Last edited by MichaelP; 02-27-2011, 08:04 PM.
                        Mike
                        WI/IL border, USA

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by doctor demo
                          So it isn't really a follow rest it is a leader rest, amateurs

                          Fast and effective when used as directed
                          Nice job, I'll have to try to remember that one.

                          Steve
                          I kinda like the British term: 'traveling steady'. As opposed to: 'fixed steady'.
                          Don Young

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Lew Hartswick
                            I don't follow that. I could put it just as close to the tool on the "following" side as the leading side and if the HDPE material scars a peice of aluminium I wonder about the aluminium. :-)
                            ...lew...
                            Hi,

                            You could mount the bracket on the far side of the saddle. but then you would need to reach all the way across the saddle to the tool. This would tend to make for an awkward and clumsy setup.

                            Next thing is, you still need to support the work piece ahead of the cut zone. Supporting the work behind the cut will still allow it flex away from the tool.

                            And if you are spinning the piece as close to the proper speed as you can get, HDPE will leave marks on aluminum. Maybe it might not matter much if you file and then polish with sand paper. But if you need as round as possible, such options aren't always a choice.

                            dalee
                            If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X