Opinions on a DoAll Lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on a DoAll Lathe

Anyone know about DoAll lathes? Don't think they are made anymore.

I have ran 2 Doall Lathes...This is a perfect lathe for the homeshop...But for the workshop, i would rather buy a sheep...Baa baa baa baa.....

The doall machine is not built strong...It is not a tight machine...but I would still take one for my garage...

brent

Comment

Yikes! That doesn't sound like a glowing report.

The one I have found is a 13" bu 40" inch/metric gear head lathe in very good condition.

Does this sound like one of the two you have had experiences with?

Comment

the 2 lathes that i have run that were DoAll were Identical...I dont know the exact dimensions but 13 x 40 seems about what it was.....I believe the 2 that i ran were manufactured in the 90's...I could be wrong though...

Don't get me wrong, these lathes are just fine...they are just not heavy duty...The levers on the headstock are plastic with splined holes...The strip real easy...which means it is hard to know where your lever is...is it on E or is it on F.....Its nice to be able to do metrics without having to change gears..Thats the good thing about the DoAlls....

I don't think their very "user friendly"....When you try to cut a thread, you have about 8 levers you need to change to do stuff,,,very easy to make a mistake...

I never read the manual on this lathe, but when I had to cut a metric thread, i had to keep the half-nut engaged all the time so I wouldn't cross thread...

Hope this helps...

bent
        brent

Comment

I forgot to mention....

If you find a DoAll with a nice price tag, then go ahead and buy it....I think you would be happy....

brent

Comment

Okay, I have found one that is in very nice shape. An independent buyer (not affiliated with the place that is selling it) has highly recommended this lathe since he knows of it. I have seen it and it does seems to be in excellent shape, including the ways which are silky smooth (I haven't heard it running yet), but it looks like it has had a soft life. It has the following items:

3-Jaw Chuck, Coolant, Quick Change Toolpost, Collet Drawbar.

Asking price is $4900. The guy that is recommending it thinks I can get it for $4500.

Comment

That sounds like a reasonable price to me....

get it...

brent

Comment

There are two identical lathes in the shop where I'm taking a machining course. I believe (from memory) they are 13x40. One is marked Harrison M300. The other is marked DoAll. They appear to be absolutely identical except for paint color.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Marv:
                Anyone know about DoAll lathes? Don't think they are made anymore.</font>

Comment

I checked last evening. The "DoAll 13"" is really a private labelled Harrison M300.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NAIT:
                  There are two identical lathes in the shop where I'm taking a machining course. I believe (from memory) they are 13x40. One is marked Harrison M300. The other is marked DoAll. They appear to be absolutely identical except for paint color.</font>

Comment

Thanks!

Talking to the guy that recommends this lathe, I have learned that it was manufactured by Romi.

While it is a lot of money I am seriously thinking of buying it. I am just draging my feet a little, first.

Marv

Comment

Working...
                    X