O.T. New census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TGTool
    IIRC there was a case that went to court a few years ago in some state, maybe Texas, over the redistricting. Each party of course tries to manage the process in its own favor. (
    That's true -- Texas make a fine art out of gerrymandering. These are our current congressional districts:

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Why do people put up with such clear, public abuse of the political system?
      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Public census reminds me of the problem farmers are putting up with.
        I believe it,s called NAIS, (Possibly the National Animal identification system), something like that,,, were they want farmers big and small to register every horse,mule,donkey,cow,chicken,pig,lamb and on and on.
        Not sure of the whole procedure, but it,s getting a lot of press and angry farmers feedback.

Comment

So your saying there is something crooked about Chicago politics?

Comment

Originally posted by BigMike782
            So your saying there is something crooked about Chicago politics?
            Yeah, but at least they're consistent!

David
            David Kaiser
            “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
            ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch
              Public census reminds me of the problem farmers are putting up with.
              I believe it,s called NAIS, (Possibly the National Animal identification system), something like that,,, were they want farmers big and small to register every horse,mule,donkey,cow,chicken,pig,lamb and on and on.
              Not sure of the whole procedure, but it,s getting a lot of press and angry farmers feedback.
              Well,,,,,,, farmers get a lot of government money too. The reason your car won't run right is because somebody got the bright idea that if fuel was required to contain ethanol, corn farmers would be able to sell a lot more corn.

To that end--I think the BEST form of tax would be a per-foot tax on real estate (improvements or location don't count, just the square-feet) and drop all other taxes. The reason that a land tax would be best is because it's easiest to administer--land is the only asset that cannot be hidden or moved. Also, taxing land without regard to improvements automatically encourages its most efficient use.
              Everybody would end up paying land taxes, since landlords would just pass the cost on to renters. The main difference is the US would have a lot of IRS agents out of work permanently, since they wouldn't be needed to chase piles of digital money all over the world.

Comment

The oddest thing about the last census was that they were pressuring me into returning it immediately, and sent reminder notices to me when I stalled. The reason I stalled is because the information they wanted was supposed to be current as of a certain date, but they wanted the census form back well before that date. How could I honestly answer the questions before the effective date had arrived ? I could not, and apparently they wanted everybody to look into our crystal balls and predict our situations weeks in advance. Only the government would warn us about telling them the truth, and then pressure us into not telling them the truth.

Comment

Working...
                X