O.T. New census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.T. New census

Any one else get one of these 20+pages of garbage ???????????
    they say I was selected at random ???????
    This form is so intrusive, that I refuse to fill it out.
    I claim the 5th.

Graeme

Are you sure it's really from the US Census Bureau? I thought all the data collecting was done done. See: http://www.census.gov/survey_partici...web_sites.html
    Last edited by winchman; 02-28-2011, 11:39 AM.
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

form

What is the address that it wants to be returned to, that will be the tip off, take it to the PO and ask them if this is legit.

Comment

I got the "American Community Survey," and it is indeed intrusive and obnoxious, but not nearly as obnoxious as the census people who kept harrassing me about getting it done. It's supposed to be anonymous at their end, but one wonders, since they obviously already knew my effing phone number. I did it anyway, but not happily.

Comment

we were having a census this year, but its been cancelled due to earthquake. only twice before it was cancelled 1931 during depression and 1941 due to war.
          My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Comment

The UK will begin its census in a month or so..

Its going to be a 32 page affair (the most intrusive yet by all accounts) and if I refuse to fill it in.. I win a £1000 ($1600) fine..

And the main contract went to Lockheed Martin ..so it may have arrived already by stealth..

Rob

Comment

But there's nothing to say how accurate you have to be. I've heard their questions are questionable to say the least, so I guess the answers can to be too.

I mean, they're not going to peer in your window to see what religious icon you kneel before, are they ?

Anyway, people don't matter any more - just their money.

Interviewed this AM was a fellow who writes the software that scans news articles to create scores for various stocks and bonds. The scores tell the investment software whether to buy or sell. Scary.
              Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

The UK one this year will will probably want to know if you're gay or not,and if not why not,and if you aren't the summons to appear in court will follow soon after.

Allan

Comment

Wonder if they will ask you what your email address is .

I can just see it now

How many bedrooms do you have ..
                  do you live on your own ..
                  what faith are you

Few months later ..you have been chosen to compulsory host refugees from Libya, Egypt and Tunisia...and you will be required to change your faith from Christian to Muslim

all the best.markj
                  Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 02-28-2011, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GRH
                    Any one else get one of these 20+pages of garbage ???????????
                    they say I was selected at random ???????
                    This form is so intrusive, that I refuse to fill it out.
                    I claim the 5th.
                    I got one, but,,,,,, the (USA) census was totaled in 2010. The actual counting was done a year or two before that. Which was when I got mine. Maybe yours got lost in the mail until now?,,,,,,

There is a law on the books that provides a fine for providing false information to the census bureau. The maximum fine is $500 IIRC.

There is not a law providing any penalty for refusing to participate however. I just tossed mine in the trash. Door-knockers came around a couple times. I ignored them too.

---------

I dislike the census because the main task its data is used for now is jerrymandering voting districts. Many of the questions are plainly ethnic/race-oriented and are identified with a specific street address. There is no other use that would require such data.

A lot of the government uses census data in one way or another, but most of the rest of the uses focus on data that already existed in their ownership anyway, there is simply no method set up for different government agencies to share data.

Comment

More than likely want an email address but now's the time to get a throw a way hotmail account.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by DougC_582
                        I dislike the census because the main task its data is used for now is jerrymandering voting districts. Many of the questions are plainly ethnic/race-oriented and are identified with a specific street address. There is no other use that would require such data.

A lot of the government uses census data in one way or another, but most of the rest of the uses focus on data that already existed in their ownership anyway, there is simply no method set up for different government agencies to share data.
                        Yea, Any time you end up with districts like this:

You know something is seriously screwed up in the old 'democratic' system.
                        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

IIRC there was a case that went to court a few years ago in some state, maybe Texas, over the redistricting. Each party of course tries to manage the process in its own favor. I think in this case the plaintiff lost (whichever party that was) with the court ruling that the legislators weren't doing their job if they weren't jiggering it as best they could. I guess it's just an extension of the duty of care or fiducial responsibility requirement. If you're a financial advisor you're required by law to give your client the best possible advice. So how does that translate for a politician? You're irresponsible in your job if you're not twisting the system to the advantage of the interests of those who have paid for your election to congress? These days I guess that would be corporations or the Koch brothers.
                          "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Did you recieve this form in your,e regular mail??

If it didn,t come by Registered mail,,(That you had to sign for,) just chuck it.
                            I refuse to sign anything unless it came by registered mail, as they have no proof you recieved it, unless you had to sign for it.

Comment

Now they keep calling me, wonder where they got my phone #, we now let it ring and then check the answering machine.
                              Curious to know how many people refuse to give out all their personal information.
                              Washington knows tooooo much already.

GRH.

Comment

Working...
                              X