Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer stuff: getting what you pay for.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer stuff: getting what you pay for.

This is a tale of utterly unremarkable success.

A year ago I bought a really cheap replacement keyboard and mouse ($16 for a Box-o-Stuff) from the local computer hole-in-the-wall store. It worked OK but the "s" "i" and a couple of others took a little more effort to make a character appear on the screen. Then the key legends started wearing off and the mouse got squirrely. Finally the keyboard was almost bare of character legends and the mouse was running wild: Sunday, I had enough and went out to Costco where I spent $70 on a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse.

I put the CD in the tray and loaded the software clicking on the "I accept" and "continue" button and that was it. Then I plugged in the little USB receiver goodie and the keyboard and mouse came alive. The batterys are advertised to last 3 to 4 years.

And that was about it. It works boringly well. I spent the money and immediately reaped the benefit with no hassles.

So why do I remark on it? Today's market place is filled with dubious products and selecting one that not only works but does what it was supposed to do without fuss or bother is no longer commonplace. Sometimes you do get what you paid for and that IS remarkable.

Same here on keyboards, they last me about two months, then can't read the letters, which for some of you is no problem, but I am not a typist. The one now was found at Goodwill for I believe $3, a Labtech, still going strong with the letters and it's about 4 months now.
    I use a Logitech wireless mouse, the AA battery last about a month here, the ones I have used never lasted much longer but do get pretty heavy use and are never shut off which may shorten the battery life.

Comment

Ah, but the first one lasted (sorta) a year, and you've only had this one for one day. Waaay to early to make a judgment! Let us know how it's working in 4.375 years.....

I have a collection of genuine original IBM keyboards (the ones that actually click when you type, rather than squoosh) 'cause I loathe those spongy things they sell now-a-days. The one I'm using now is still plugging away after 20+ years, and if it goes I have replacements on hand.
      "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

This is why some of us buy Macs to start with.

Comment

Originally posted by BillB
          MAC = over priced sub par performance PC

Comment

I have a collection of genuine original IBM keyboards (the ones that actually click when you type, rather than squoosh)
            So it's YOU that's cornered the "M" series market Mickeyf?????

Regards Ian.
            You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

The old classic-style IBM keyboards used buckle springs for the keys.

You can still find used ones on eBay now and then for very little. What condition they are in can be something of a crap-shoot tho'.

If you want a brand-new one, the keyboard manufacturing rights for IBM were bought up by a company named Unicomp, who still sells them today through their website (used to be pckeyboard.com, now they use a yahoo storefront)-

http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/keyboards.html

I prefer the ergo keyboards myself.
              I've had good luck with the original Microsoft Natural ones, but they're pretty hard to find now at a decent price. Last time I bought keyboards, I think I bought three for $20 each. That was about eight years ago, and I think I'm on my last one....

Comment

Does anybody know how the quality of the keyboards from http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/keyboards.html compare with these?
                http://elitekeyboards.com/
                ----------
                Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Originally posted by BillB
                  Not many, but some

Comment

Originally posted by RB211

Yes. But if you do any sort of desk-top-publishing, either written or photo. macs are the standard.

Comment

I thought I was saving some money by buying a cheap wireless mouse. After installing it I tried to use it. It works like an old ball type of mouse with dirty rollers. There doesn't seem to be any setting that makes it work smoothly, I consider it totally unusable.

Has Microsofts name on it.
                      Gene

Comment

Originally posted by RB211
                        Not to renew a 30 yr old dispute....but....

Having used both macs and pcs at several local universities I can attest to the fact that if you do a lot of 3d/solid modeling or advanced simulation then macs are the way to go. Comparing equal priced units in the $1500-$2000 range the macs win everytime. When I have several large models open in 2 or 3 different programs running simultaneously the mac is the only one that can keep up with demand on the processor and graphics. Keep in mind this coming from a guy who grew up on macs, used pcs for the last ten or so years with little issue, and just bought another mac for professional purposes. Plainly said...I need a lot of computer and for the money, the mac is the only one capable of getting the amount of work done I want. If I only needed to surf the net, email, and use the ms office suite...I would buy a cheap pc, but a $1500 pc isnt equal to a $1500 mac and comparing a $500 pc to a $1500 mac like most do is apples and oranges.
                        "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_Shea
                          Same here on keyboards, they last me about two months, then can't read the letters, which for some of you is no problem, but I am not a typist.
                          I just have to ask .... how much typing does it take to wear the letters off keys in two months? I have keyboards that are years old and get gummed up with spilt drinks long before the keys are illegible.

Comment

I picked up several IBM model M keyboards at the local recycle center 4 or 5 yrs back. They work great for a non touch typist .... course they can't spell worth a damn, but they sure are better than the new ones.

bob

Plainville, MA

Comment

Originally posted by topct
                              I thought I was saving some money by buying a cheap wireless mouse. After installing it I tried to use it. It works like an old ball type of mouse with dirty rollers. There doesn't seem to be any setting that makes it work smoothly, I consider it totally unusable.

Has Microsofts name on it.
                              MS stuff usually works basically good. Check that there is not a piece of hair or anything else in the LED/laser area. Even one tiny hair will make optical mice go screwy.

----

Originally posted by justanengineer
                              Not to renew a 30 yr old dispute....but....

Having used both macs and pcs at several local universities I can attest to the fact that if you do a lot of 3d/solid modeling or advanced simulation then macs are the way to go. Comparing equal priced units in the $1500-$2000 range the macs win everytime. ...
                              I never do 3-D modeling, and never owned a Mac...
                              but,,,,
                              back in the PPC days it was a lively debate which computer was better. Now that Macs are PCs, there's not much argument left. You can just do straight-up hardware comparisons.

PPC's never really came into their prime, IMO.
                              They were capable of running relatively huge amounts of RAM, but back then RAM was too expensive for most people to buy very much of.

Comment

Working...
                              X